1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I entitled to PPA time?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hpeart, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I work for the council teaching Wider Opportunities, which is basically curriculum music taught at different primary schools around the city. I work 0.6 but the hours I'm doing are getting ridiculous. I work from 8 until just after 5 each day, sometimes not getting any breaks due to the travelling and amount of setting up to do. After school each day I have to do an after school club. I'm teaching solidly, then coming home and doing all my planning etc.

Am I entitled to PPA time? It would help me hugely to have just one hour of non contact time!
    Does anyone know if in my nature of job I can get it?

2. I work for the council teaching Wider Opportunities, which is basically curriculum music taught at different primary schools around the city. I work 0.6 but the hours I'm doing are getting ridiculous. I work from 8 until just after 5 each day, sometimes not getting any breaks due to the travelling and amount of setting up to do. After school each day I have to do an after school club. I'm teaching solidly, then coming home and doing all my planning etc.

Am I entitled to PPA time? It would help me hugely to have just one hour of non contact time!
    Does anyone know if in my nature of job I can get it?

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

check out www.tesfaq.co.uk but I would think you are. Remember our contract reminds us that we will do work beyond the teaching or session hours.
    no, you don't have to do an after school club unless it falls within your directed time hours, which I would think it doesn't. PPA is 10% of teaching time, so each school should give you some.
    chat to your line manager first about your concerns, you might be able to organiseTOIL.