1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I entitled to an increase in pay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jubilee, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A full-time school week is 25 hours of lessons but teachers get 10% PPA so a f/t teacher in Primary would teach no more than 22 hours per week.
    0.3 of 22 hours is 6.6 hours of teaching!
    if you are teaching 8 hours of lessons, you should be on about 0.36.
    If you are Secondary, a f/t teacher would get additional frees too so you should compare your actual teaching load with that of a f/t teacher to work out your proportion of a f/t contract.
    Teaching 9 hours will obviosly be a higher contract - I make it 0.4 if you're primary ansd around 0.42 if secondary.
    You are then required to attend the pro-rata amount of meetings and parents' evenings, but only on the days when you are contracted to work. Working 3 mornings, though, complicates that as you could be at another school in the afternoons.
    Speak to your Union and get them to confirm my calculations and support you in possibly getting arrears of pay for this year and an increased contract for next year.
    Schools seem to think that part-timers and supply teachers can be exploited. It's as though they think that our increased free time (unpaid) is grounds for underpaying us for the work that we do.

2. To complicate things - staff meetings are not on days I am contracted to work!
    However I would like to try to push for the 0.4. Any suggestions on how to do this, politely and with success?!?
    I will definitely contact my union about it too. Thanks - I thought it was abut 0.4 too

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Where did that figure come from jubilee? I can't recall seeing it before. I'm aware that most schools have a teaching day of roughly that amount but always thought it was down to the school day as determined by the GB?

4. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

And shouldn't we also take into account other contact time, especialy form periods etc? At my school, this accounts for nearly 3 hours per week, meaning that a part time teacher who doesn't have a form, comparing with a full time teacher, should look at about 28 hours per week as the base. Or have I got it wrong?

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The teacher with no form can still be directed to do other duties in that time. There will always be teachers who arrive late or who are on courses or off sick and their colleagues can be called on to take over a form temporarily.
    As for the 25 hours per week being maximum lesson time for pupils, I've found that most secondary schools work on 5 x 1hr lessons or 6 x 50 mins ones, making 5 hours of lesson time per day over 190 pupil days.

6. update: my school works on 25 hours per week for KS2 and so I have had my contract increased to 0.35. The extra money just about covers my increased childcare costs!

7. There is a national formula for calculating p/t pay etc. Your school should have a copy of it, if not your LA payroll dept will certainly have it.
    I can never recall the link to it on the DFE website, sorry.

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

9. and Para 46 in STPCD 2010.