1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I eligible to strike?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by cupofteacher, Jun 15, 2011.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I am a student teacher-GTP. I have been paying into the Teachers Pension Scheme all year, but the email I have received from my union says because I am a student and have not paid into TPS and was not balloted, it means I am unable to take strike action.
    I have also read that schools have been informed of the number of teachers balloted so cannot just join in with strike action as they should know how many people are striking. Is this correct?

Very confused!

2. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I am not sure about your first point...but since you are a GTP, you aren't really a 'student' as you are employed by the school to teach classes. So I would suggest that if you are a member of NUT or ATL, you would strike.
    Second point. Yes, we all know how many teachers were ballotted and how many voted for strike action. But we don't know who they are...it is a confidential ballot. Obviously, only members of the NUT and ATL should be striking.
    Mark

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Hello. This is Scotland. No GTP here and (as yet) no strikes.

4. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry I posted this on the Scotland one by mistake!