1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hbee1, Mar 10, 2020.

1. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

Literally as the title says. I've applied for multiple jobs with the same generic application before I tailor it to the school and its ethos.

I'm not getting interviews at schools with the same application that I've used at other schools and its really starting to worry me. I will be unemployed as of 31st March due to end of maternity contract.

I need any kind of help you can give me!

(also, I asked for feedback when I wasn't shortlisted. I am an RQT, the job was suitable for NQTs, but I didn't get shortlisted because the other candidates had more experience????)

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If you look on here for discussion of feedback, I think you'll find that most of us who have been recruiting and selecting will say that feedback is a waste of time and energy.
    Your chances of success depend on the competition - if you are secondary Physics teacher, schools will be desperate to employ you as you're probably the only applicant they've seen in years; however, if you are (you can fill in the rest!).... and if there are, say, 20 applicants per job, your chance of success is only 5% if you are all of equal merit.
    I'd suggest you get someone you trust to have a look at your applications. Not just a random friend, but a member of SLT who has experience of selecting staff.
    I'd also suggest you consider widening your search - it does depend on where you live (and where you might consider moving), and what you are willing to teach.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

I've heard all this before and it does make sense but: I am Secondary RS, which is a dwindling subject. I can't afford to move out of my parents' house, so moving away isn't really an option. As for looking at teaching other things, I'm not qualified!

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

So you are a qualified secondary teacher. In principle you're qualified to teach anything (in practice I imagine that you'd not attempt physics, or classical Greek.....) so you could widen your search a bit. And if (as it seems) you're single, consider the possibility of renting a room somewhere to widen your search further.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good advice above.

Now think. Did you only teach RS in your placements? What A levels have you got, could you do History to yrs 7-9? PSHE?

If you could offer a bit of flexibility to a school who wants RS, that could help.

And then you talk of a generic application that you then amend. Really you should start the other way round, do an E.S. that is specific to that school, and then write a letter or statement reflecting their needs and how you meet them.

I am assuming you know all about writing an E.S., of course! http://bit.do/Click_1

Best wishes

agathamorse likes this.
  6. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Can you also get signed up for supply agencies, so you can be being put forward for short term contracts for the summer term?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Another great idea, @cornflake !

Best wishes

8. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

Applying to loads of agencies, getting registered etc. And when I mean generic, I mean that I start off with similar things then tailor it to the Person Specification. It doesn't help that I don't know if my application even is the problem, as I have had interviews with the same sort of application to jobs who haven't shortlisted me!

The usual reply I get when asking for feedback is that they other candidates 'had more experience' (not something I can change) or had 'stronger applications' (which they never elaborate on!)

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

1) Feedback is designed normally to be something you cannot easily disprove. A school does not want a legal challenge to an appointment You told my client he was not appointed due to X, whereas in fact...

2) So you are starting by doing an E.S. are you?

Best wishes

10. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

looks fun though

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The bit.do links seem all to have died a death. Try this instead.

Best wishes