1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by JWTBH, Feb 28, 2012.

1. JWTBH

JWTBH New commenter

I'm young ish and have been teaching for a few years in secondary education. I currently work in a busy department in an outstanding school. I'm fairly happy however, I feel I haven't done anything exciting with my life. In the next 3/4 few years I envisage having children so if i'm going to make a change, it's now or never.
    I want to try and teach in Australia and I recognise that I can't get a job until I'm out there and will have to supply at least at first. I'm ok taking this risk however, how crazy is it to give up a good job in the current climate? Whilst I recognise that I will have to stick out any move I make for at least a year to get past homesickness etc and to start to enjoy myself, I just can't decide whether to bite the bullet or to be sensible and stay here......thoughts? experiences? Any opinions gratefully received.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

In reply to the OP's original question, I would say, "Yes, you are crazy."
    If you want to teach overseas because of charitable or altruistic reasons, because you wish to help young people in some of the poorer parts of the world, then why mention teaching in New Zealand and Australia? Wouldn't Sudan or Romania be more appropriate, if this is indeed your reason for wanting to be teaching in some kind of international school?
    Secondly, and here I do not want to be rude to any of our antipodean colleagues, I would say that one of the most interesting and worthwhile things about teaching overseas is being in a culture that is very different from your own. Australia is not so very different from the UK. Siberia, Saudi Arabia or Japan probably would be. If you want to meet lots of Aussies, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to go to a pub in Earls Court?
    Thirdly, are you really interested in travelling abroad or is teaching overseas what you want? Or both? Or one a bit more than the other? Couldn't you just have a foreign holiday or two? This could well be simpler, cheaper and less fuss. It also would not interrupt your career in the UK.