1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jimi_Jimi, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Jimi_Jimi

Jimi_Jimi New commenter

I am in the second week of a 5 week contract at a school I have worked in before. The head has now revealed that I have to do mid year reports and parent evenings. She never mentioned this at the start of the contract. I don't think it is on that I should have to do them on such a short contract. What do you think?

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It depends on whether you are being employed directly or with an agency and primary or secondary.
    Strictly speaking if you've accepted a long term placement, you are taking on the full responsibility. If you're directly employed you should be on pay rates and the school will expect you to do it all. If you're with an agency you have to agree your terms before the contract commences.
    More details about your contract would be helpful.

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

In my opinion, it depends on what they are paying you. £100 a day, or near, then this is unreasonable. £150 a day then this might be reasonable.

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As @nearmiss said, it depends what you are being paid. if you are still on daily rates, then this does seem too much. It might be worth trying to negotiate being paid extra for things like parents' evenings. Hopefully, this will give the school the message that you are not going to be exploited, and it will come up with a better package.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

That being said JR, if the OP is with an agency, any negotiations about pay and conditions must be with the agency and not the school.
    I would urge the OP to read the advice pinned at the top of the page.
    It's not a great idea to start a job without reading the contract or discussing the T&Cs.

6. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Nope, parents evenings, writing reports extra money please at an agreed hourly rate. If it's just a case of putting in assessment grades into database then not so bad. I would find it difficult to write a report just knowing the kids 5 weeks. If they are giving you PPA time at £140/150 per day then marking, assessment get done, bear in mind they (school) are not paying into pension, no NI, no holiday pay and no sickness pay.

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I've done parents' evenings in the past whilst on long term supply. In every case the agency has paid me extra for it.

They also told me if I did any extra hours over a weekend on tasks like writing reports to record the time spent and the school would be billed for it.

Yoda- likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@nearmiss; Yes, of course the OP should negotiate with the agency, as they are the employer. In turn, the agency will approach the school for more money, thus giving it the message that he or she is not going to be exploited.

9. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Hmm I'd be cross if I were expected to do these duties without being informed of it at the start of the contract. 5 weeks is a very short time. I did data during a 6 week contract but not a Parents' Evening.