1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being too sensitive?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lainyp69, Sep 15, 2015.

1. lainyp69

lainyp69 New commenter

Cutting a very long story short. I am a qualified teacher still trying to complete the NQT year. I started at a small village school (3 classes, 60 pupils) as TA, and have worked there (now becoming HLTA) and teaching French and Music through the whole school. We have had several bad experiences as a school, including very poor leadership which resulted in a recent OFSTED of requires improvement. We have also just federated with another local school, with the HT from the other school overseeing both schools. Any way that's the background, of which there was an awful lot more which resulted in very low esteem throughout.

At the end of last term, out of the blue, I got told in a stand up conversation with the HT, that another member of staff ( who I had considered a good friend) was also becoming HLTA and so she was doing some of my HLTA hours and that she was bringing in an expert (a TA from the other school) in Early Years to cover some of my other hours. When I think back to those last few weeks I recall other members of staff being very vague in what they wanted me to teach and why certain other things were being done and said.

I feel as though all these conversations and decisions were taking place behind my back and that I have been just tossed to the side after everything I've done. I appreciate that things have to be organised and strategies put in place but I really feel as though I do not count. I could understand if I had been given warnings about my teaching, ec, but I've had nothing. As far as I knew I was doing ok. I am feeling so low and do not want to go in each day. I have already gone down to part time. I also feel humiliated and upset that this all took place behind my back and none of my collegues gave any indication of what was happening. The person who has the other HLTA hours won't even speak to me now, I keep being asked about things in relaton to her post from other members of staff.

I am just so gutted by it all and want to leave as soon as possible because I no longer feel a valued member of staff. I really don't think I want to stay in the teaching profession if this is what it's like all the time.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are not being sensitive, but a lot of schools are like what you describe from my experience of observing schools as a supply teacher and from the numerous posts on this board.

Remember you are qualified now in two subjects not everyone can teach so easily.

If I were you, I would speak to the HT and discuss how you view the situation. If you can get complete your NQT year there then move on that might be a possibility.

Are you in an area with a lot of schools or can you move? There are many schools who would love to have you I am sure, so don't base your decision on one bad experience, and of course there is also private tutoring and if you feel very brave secondary French.

So onwards and chin up...you will come out a lot wiser from this experience and learn how to manage. Maybe one day you will be a HT somewhere and can manage the right way instead of the wrong way.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm not quite sure if you're employed as a teacher or a HLTA for the French/music. If as a HLTA, then you need to go and find yourself a teaching post, so that you can get the NQT year done - loyalty to a school as a HLTA does not get you a teaching post. If as a teacher, I wonder if the problem is that they need to cut the staffing, and they were hoping that if they cut your supplementary work, that might encourage you to go and look elsewhere.

You make it sound as if they have reduced your hours (or at least your HLTA hours) - what does your contract say, and did you talk to your union?

Your colleague who has been given the HLTA hours is probably feeling very awkward: I can understand her being uneasy about talking to you, and probably that will stay the case unless you can assure her you're not holding things against her.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree with Frustum above. This is maybe the push you need. You need to get your NQT year done, and presumably you want to also be a teacher.

I am going to disagree with Pepper, I think you are being a little sensitive. Your school is in a few problems and there is a new HT. It is natural that they would want to shake things up a little, especially bring people in that they know and trust in areas of weakness. I imagine that you were either doing it as a casual employee or you have kept your hours and have simply been put elsewhere?

Look for another job. I know that a job is a job, but I wonder whether you have become too comfortable...

5. lainyp69

lainyp69 New commenter

Thank you all for your honesty and help.

Pepper5 I am in an area where people tend to stay in post and there aren't many opportunities. Moving is also an option I have discussed with my husband but he is starting training and the children (all 4) are happy in their schools/ college that it is not a practcal option at the present time.

Dynam067 I have become comfortable but I have been to so many interviews and just can't get any further than that. Each time my nerves get the better of me. I have also asked for help with this but not had much.

Frustum I have approached the other member of staff and tried to talk but she ignores me and walks away, which I am finding upsetting. So I am giving her space at the moment, not sure what else to do.

It is more the way things have been handled and the abruptness that it all happend. I appreciate the HT needs to shake things up but when you've put so much time and effort into something it's a real knock back and makes you wnder if you are actually any good.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

hi lainy69

Why don't you do some private tutoring to bring in some extra cash? You sound as though you have plenty on your plate with four children and a husband in training.