1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being too picky????

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by newscientist, Feb 14, 2011.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I've been asked to clarify so here goes.

Firstly I think a few posters are bundling a couple of passions/preferences together. I said it doesn't make sense to be passionate about teaching Pre-U, because I think this would be more a case of preferring to teach a certain age group, or maybe a perceived status in teaching a subject at a certain level. I never said that teaching Pre-U implies a passion for one's subject. I was arguing from the other direction, which is not equivalent.

Now, I also conceded that someone who didn't teach Pre-U could still be passionate about their subject, as one's level of ability doesn't necessarily equate to one's passion. However I would still maintain that some one who is passionate about something usually wants to take it to the limit. I love playing tennis. I'm not especially good at it, but I want to play opponents who I find very hard or impossible to beat. Likewise, I enjoy skiing, but I don't want to just cruise the green or blue runs, I want to get my teeth into the odd black.

As for people who are good at their subject but don't want to teach it at Pre-U. Maybe they are passionate about it, but I would then argue that they are maybe more passionate about teaching other age groups.

As I said earlier, I also enjoy teaching younger students. However, Pre-U sometimes throws up problems I have to think a bit about, and explaining stuff to students can be more challenging. This is what I enjoy - not, as MM suggests, Pre-U per se. In fact, as the maths journals will testify, I also like to tackle challenging problems outside the classroom.

This is why I would insist on having Pre-U classes (though certainly not exclusively) I teach because I enjoy it, and I want to maximize that enjoyment.

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Poor you, no one really gives a toss I'm sure. Just the games we play.

3. David Getling

Yeh, MM, I know this only too well. But I thought I'd do my bit for people who are new to the forum and don't realize that a lot of baiting goes on.

On a more serious note though, I do worry about some teachers who are so desperate they will agree to any timetable in almost any school.

Also, getting back to the Pre-U business, sometimes it's not offered because there is some complete bastard of a HOD who keeps it all for him/herself. Usually it's because they want an easy time without any disciple problems. These are nasty people, hated by both kids and colleagues, who you really don't want to end up working for.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Again I may be reading it wrongly (but I don't think so), but I think you have dug your hole even deeper.
    I teach KS 1 and KS2, have taught KS 3 and KS4. Are you implying that this requires less knowledge, ability and skill than pre-U? are you saying I am a less able teacher than you? are you saying that what you do is more challenging?
    If so (I think) you are talking sh1t.
    If not, you're not.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

So now you're saying it's an easy time teaching Pre -U? make your mind up.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Jesus!!!! [​IMG]

7. Just a quick reminder that this thread is about being too picky about job applications and not about being passionate about teaching particular keystages.

Thank you all for your comments and advice!

8. David Getling

Yeah, spell checker 1 DG 0.

stopwatch. Either you're a wind-up artist or you are reading in [offensive] meaning that is not intended.

As for the "make your mind up". There are teachers teaching Pre-U who shouldn't be. It's a question of the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind, with the poor students being left fumbling around by a teacher that's also fumbling. I've seen a HOD offer a calculus class [as a reward] to a crony, who most certainly shouldn't have been teaching it.

Of course, now you are, once again, going to accuse me of being back-biting and arrogant. So, BITE ME!

9. Good heavens - he's a seppo!

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

back-biting and arrogant? Never you are just a silly t**t who thinks too much of himself. As an ex Sixth Form tutor and Head of Sixth Form I have worked with many people such as yourself, self opinionated, rude, not helpful in the slightest and, to be honest, normally American. Life will go on and you will go to your retirement thinking pompous thoughts whilst all those around you are just glad that you have left. Think about this the next time you are in the staffroom about to pontificate aboout some earth shattering idea you have had, does anybody really care about what I say? Well?
    Spartans,

Perce

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

DG, no I was wasn't winding up.
    I am interested to know what your responses are to the question/s I asked.
    Even if it isn't your intention you do come across as someone who, because they (think they) teach at a higher level than many on here, thinks they are superior.
    I have a sibling who teaches PhD students in Research methods and analysis of statistics (amongst many other things). Does this make him superior to you? Is his teaching more challenging than yours?
    Would he come on here and make arrogant and judgmental comments about your job and how you do it? Hold on I know the naswer to that one - No.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

answer
    spellcheck 2 - DG/SW 0

13. Point taken New Scientist, but the debate is lively and it might also be relevant to you. Maybe your question should not be "am I being too picky?" You have received some pretty good advice about that. Maybe it should be more like "What makes me think I am being picky?"

DG suggests pickiness may be legitimate, proceeding from genuine passion for teaching a subject at its most complex level . Others argue pickiness - seeing teaching the oldest students as some kind of pedagogic gold standard - is elitist. DG also points out that when people in authority themselves see a subject in "gold standard" terms, particularly if they equate it with an easier life, the wrong people can end up teaching at that level. Maybe where you fall on that divide will help you provide your answer to your own question.

Finally (and this really is off-topic) will somebody please tell me the secret of how to put new paragraphs into my posts on here? Simply pressing "return" is horribly inadequate

14. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Can depend on which browser you are using. IE includes the paragraphs as you have typed them, Chrome doesnt.
    To the OP, threads do have a habit of going off topic, sometimes quite extremely.
    It's a bit like a pub conversation, where people throw in their ideas and others pick up on alternative areas for discussion from this.
    Not a lot you can do about it really (other than calling people back to order) [​IMG]

15. MisterMaker

How you doing DP? Still leading the green and 'plesant' pastures at Anthony's place? Clearly the internet in Nigeria makes things go wobbly.
    If you are pasting from something like notepad, that is where you problem lies.
    When I press enter when typing directly into the TES form I get this...
    A new line. When you cut and paste from notepad the line spaces disappear and you have to manually re-enter them. Worst still is when you cut and paste from MS Word; that well & truly bggers things up.

16. ..and as you can see, there's always one or two people in the pub conversation that brings a completely dull topic to the table.....Jesus lads, get back to the point; will England win the Grand Slam?

17. Sorry 'bring'; was having a chat to my department at the same time - not a multi-tasker, me...

18. MisterMaker

DP raised an important issue which needed addressing for the thread to be able to move forward with better presentation and clarity and continue to address the needs of a poster who may or may not have an issue that he doesn't think is an issue but others have suggested is an issue for the poster so there is scant evidence that there is any off topic discussion going on and certainly not something which is dull and likely to put a dampner on the chat.
    So, to address your key concern, yes, it is looking a genuine possibility, although the ability of British sportsfolk to disappoint (Murray, Hammilton, Henman, Entire footbal & cricket teams, the badmington pair in the last olympics, Tom the diver, etc) means I'd never put money on it.
    I didn't get where I am today by thinking

19. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

Quite possibly FP! Depends on what mood the French are in.

Going back to this debate. DG is getting mullered and long may it lasy pompous a***!!!![​IMG]

20. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

Last!! Doh!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]