1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being too picky????

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by newscientist, Feb 14, 2011.

1. I have decided that I want to move to UAE this year and try teaching abroad. I really want to teach in a good international school that offers KS3 - 5 (which is what I currently teach) but there do not seem to be many jobs going at the minute.
    Am I being too picky? Should I be considering those with KS 3 & 4 only or should I hold out and hope that more comes up over the next few months?

Is it worth signing up to an agency? I have looked up a few other websites but don't seem to have much on there.

All suggestions appreciated.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

yes you are being too picky.
    Obviously you will have an ideal job spec in mind, but if you are only going to apply if you see one, you could have a long wait ahead.
    Regards Secondary Schools in Dubai, there aren't that many which would be described as 'good enough to work in' or worht considering a move for.

3. Only you can answer the questions "am I being too picky" because only you know how important those particular criteria are to you. Obviously the fussier you are the less likely you are to land a job - if you're ok with that then stay picky.
    Personally I'd sign up with an agency but that's because I'd be interested to see what else is out there. If you're only interested in the UAE then it might not be worth it.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

5. noseygeorge

noseygeorge New commenter

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

You are most certainly NOT being too picky.

I'm passionate about my subject, so teaching it at A-level or IB diploma is non-negotiable.

7. stopwatch

I think, looking at the polarised responses, that it depends what is defined as 'picky', plus what your nmotives for working overseas are.
    If you are passionate etc etc etc then correct you should be choosy and hang on (with a risk you could be waiting a long time)
    If you merely want to work overseas and are willing to 'move up/across/along' until you get the job you want in the country you want then you should be less picky.
    So in a nutshell - we are all right! [​IMG]

8. MisterMaker

Being passionate about your subject doesn't mean you have to teach Pre-U courses. It's rather patronising to all those passionate teachers out there who teach only to IGCSE. In fact, there are many passionate teachers who love their subject every bit as you do but teach primary - they're so keen they want to ensure they spread that passion to everyone, young and old.
    You may be pasionate about teaching Pre-U, but thats not the same as being passionate about teaching your subject.
    It is of course debatable if the OP is being picky, I think he is as in the context of international schools he's narrowing the field unnecessarily. We offer IBDP at my school, but I don't regard the IB staff anymore more or less in terms of there subject knowledge or passiob as anyone else.
    Whilst I would count it as a positive a candidate who was prepared to teach IB, it would be a negative if the candidate wanted to be exclusive to IB (in fact it would be a complete rejection if at interview the candidate wasn't keen on KS3/4 but preffered only KS5).

9. David Getling

Why would anyone be passionate about teaching Pre-U. This doesn't make any sense. One can certainly be passionate about something that one isn't too good at, so I can certainly conceive of teachers not wanting to teach beyond IGCSE. BUT, if one IS good at one's subject one wants to make full use of one's talent.

As for your second comment (and this is why, like so many people, you need a better grounding in logic - which maths should provide), my statement is not a double implication. I would expect to also teach younger students and enjoy doing so - and they enjoy being taught by me.

10. David Getling

Actually, forget the double implication, your second comment simply draws a conclusion based on nothing whatsoever.

11. stopwatch

So the only way that someone can make full use of their (teaching) talent is to teach it post GCSE or even beyond.
    Those who teach at levels prior to these cannot be judged as passionate because they are not fully utilising their skills, or maybe don't have the ability to.
    Is that what you are saying?
    If so I will add further comment.

12. Come on, Dave, clarify. I think you are talking utter sh7t and with no small amount of arrogance. I know plenty of teachers who don't teach to the level/degree they 'could' teach to, simply because they prefer teaching other age groups.
    I'm one of them.

13. I completely agree with the latter comment. I am passionate about teaching KS 3-5 because I love my subject at all levels and I enjoy the variety that teaching all Keystages brings with it! I am not at all indicating that those who teach a particular KS are any less passionate than I am but they clearly enjoy teaching a certain age bracket of students. All are fine.

Again, it goes back to the fact that yes...... teaching all 3 keystages would be my ideal job spec.....
    Woulld anyone out there like to offer me an amazing job?

14. If you count FS1 and FS2 as key stages, that's seven in all; five if you don't...
    But I take your point. And I'm starting to think that Dave is being a bit of a pushy/indoctrinal/arsey sort.
    There's only room in the world for few of them - I take up a fair bit of sapce..

15. Got it, sorry...

16. I know I'm mithering but, Dave, if you sat in my staff room and came out with what you posted, you would be laughed at, pilloried and scorned (I know, three words that pretty much mean the same thing..). And worst of all, be very unpopular. Attitudes like yours are for those of international school managers.
    The cr5p schools, because they like that sort of shallow, buzz words, nonsense...

17. MisterMaker

@FP
    You clearly have way too much time on your hands, almost as much as I seem to have. Aren't you getting back to school soon or have they put back the reopening date again.
    [​IMG]
    Poor David, pilloried and scorned, a laughing stock, denounced ridiculed and humiliated, derised, disdained and disparaged.
    @David
    Nothing wrong with my logic, crystal clear. As a few posters have seemingly agreed with my thrust (bizarre old world when people actually agree with me, not used to it) that passion about the subject is different to passion about PreU teaching; you seem to have the latter although you don't realise it.
    @OP
    Not trying to put words into your mouth, good to hear that you are happy to teach across the Key Stages, but as I've said twice before here, I do think you're being too picky only looking for schools who do KS3 to 5. My school does 3-5, but we're in SE Asia, which leads me to my next point, I think you're also limiting yourself if you're only looking at UAE. There's a whole world out there, why focus on this particular neck of the woods? IF you have a specific need to be there fine, otherwise rather narrowing your choices.

18. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Yes you are being too picky and no don't join an agency, if you can't get a job why pay someone else to help you not get a job?

Perce

19. You have absolutely no idea. Can't really talk aboput starting times for the opening of the school, only to say that there are official starting times and....unofficial varieties....

20. It's the new way of spelling 'about'....