1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being spied on by a black box?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have noticed that a black box like thingy appears on the top right of my computer screen and looks as if it is clicking and taking photos. It is making me edgy. Can anyone tell me what it is? I don't like it at all. It seems to come on a lot when I am on the TES website.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I get that when I change pages but since there is no camera on my computer the black box just flashes up.

3. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Is it not only there when you load a page? I think it just shows that it's working on your instruction. Sometimes the page loads really quickly and it appears as just a black flash.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Another conspiracy bites the dust.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There is no black box, all is well... ignore any 'black box' that you see, it isn't real.

It is not MI6

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Weeeelllll...

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I know the black box isn't real but Skype isn't real either and yet it means I can see and talk to my grandboys in Sydney. I have a sub rudimentary understanding of IT and this box thingy only started appearing very recently so naturally I find it disconcerting.

Thank you though for your replies.

8. anotherauntsally

@Lascarina I think you must have faster broadband than I do and that's why the box appears as a flash - not giving you time to examine it. I think it first appeared after this upgrade and it usually lasts a little longer than a flash on my computer. That's why I've been able to see the thing working - it's annoying that it's tucked up in the corner, though, as I can only see a bit of it.

@racroesus Sorry for not playing along with the conspiracy idea - I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have got something called BT Infinity, aunt sally. The names they call these things are enough to make old people nervous!

10. anotherauntsally

Don't I know! : )

Lascarina likes this.
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There is a simple solution involving a roll of tin foil and your head.

I can't say any more because I know the shape-shifting reptiloids from Zeta Reticuli are watching me.

guinnesspuss, lanokia and Lascarina like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You too huh? They don't like the music of Avril Lavigne... gives them the jibbers.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well I'd never noticed it and now I have. I still haven't got over my phone knowing where we are.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Blimey - that means there's far more shape-shifting reptiloids around than I originally suspected. Stuff the Christmas turkey, it's time to make a tin foil jumpsuit.

lanokia likes this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's your avatar looking for notifications.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I'm disappointed now.
    I love a good conspiracy theoryo_O

17. anotherauntsally

Ah, that makes sense - it does seem to be connected to the little avatar at the top.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've actually clocked it for the first time now...

Hadn't spotted it before.

19. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I'm still on some ancient windows, so there are no black boxes here. Maybe computers are like Samsung fridges, programmed to self-destruct after 18 months, so I must be doing well on this old thingy.

20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

it's just a loading thing - it turns into my avatar eventually. when it feels like it.