1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being oversensitive?!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by CloudsTES, Mar 5, 2019.

1. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Would anyone else find it quite uncomfortable if they were tutoring and a pet cat was meowing and scratching at a patio door (so could see in the house), over an extended period of time, but the owners wouldn't let it in? This has happened a few times with one student and, having been a bit reckless in the past, I have let it in myself, but this is clearly not appropriate (not my house, not my pet...). Would anyone else find this type of situation difficult, or am I being oversensitive (and perhaps a little unprofessional...)?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Just tell the parent it's a distraction

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

My cat sits on the kids’ books! To our mutual amusement!

langteacher likes this.
  4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I teach at home. My dogs snore

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

My cat too! It is a high-pitched, slightly honking sound....

langteacher likes this.
  6. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Thank you. That sounds like a very wise approach. The only issue is that it doesn't seem to be a distraction to anyone else but me :-(
    Oh yes, I love having pets around, too. I'm more than happy for any creature (within reason :)) to join in with our learning (cats, dogs, chickens etc.); that's why it makes me feel sad when a pet is left 'out in the cold'. Although, to be fair, there is a catflap available, so perhaps I do need to toughen up a bit...

langteacher likes this.
  7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I wouldn’t let it in there maybe a reason it’s outside.

I deal with alsorts of pets I love them but yes they do distract sometimes, one tried to pee in my bag!
    I try and deal with it quickly and get back to work.