1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

am I being over sensitive?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mazpaz, Dec 14, 2015.

1. mazpaz

mazpaz Occasional commenter

I was signed of a few weeks back and am due back in Jan. The other day I went into school to drop some Christmas things off and found that my classroom had been completely changed. I have found it quite upsetting and I know whoever is in there needs to perhaps change seating positions but everything had moved and my desk was no longer there. Am I just being ultra sensitive to feel unnerved by it all?
    Paz

2. Amylicorice

Amylicorice New commenter

I was off for a few weeks unwell- came back and children had been moved. I was surprised but I understood. Children act differently for different teachers.
    But, if my desk had been moved is wait till I got back and move it back. Take ownership back.
    Put aside what other teachers decide to do to get through their days and make it your own when you are well again.

lanokia and Anonymity like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It might have been a bit presumptuous of a supply teacher to move furniture, but individual children's positions, yes.
    However just make sure, as advised above, that you 'retake ownership of the classroom' on your return.

4. mazpaz

My desk is completely gone .. no longer there. So I can't reown it! I've no idea where half my things are and every piece of furniture has been moved. Not one thing remains the same.
    Paz

5. Lara mfl 05

That is disturbing. Was it your own desk or school furniture?
    I remember another case of a teacher's possessions /resources had been removed a while back on these fora. You might have to do a 'reccie' on your return. they might have migrated to other's classrooms.

6. mazpaz

It was the schools. I was just shocked I'm less bothered about where the things are but more the fact that things have been moved .. as if it's no longer my room. I know I'm not in the best place due to having been ill and my OH is telling me not to read too much into it but I just think it's a real concern.
    Paz

7. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Please don't read too much into it. Once you start your mind can run wild with all sorts of theories as to what has happened and why. If you're due back at the start of the term, why not call in to say hello to your class this week and ask the question. Moving children is fair enough but your desk is a bit much, but you may find its an edict from on high with no consideration of the actual people behind the desk.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I had to move out of my classroom for a week while it was decorated but when I went back it was completely transformed with new furniture and quite impractical modifications, I had not been consulted at all and felt as if I had been written out of the picture. It was all part of wider changes going on in the school, special measures and becoming an academy but I was completely thrown by it, went off sick and ultimately left. I totally understand how you feel.

9. mazpaz

You are right in that I am going round and round with it but at least I know I'm not being completely over the top with my feelings about the changes. It's another member of staff who has done the changes. Maybe I won't get class back afterall this. As my OH says "sadly you are a commodity and you are thinking with your heart which isn't how they think."
    Paz

guinnesspuss and InkyP like this.
  10. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

Try not to feel too bad... But I completely get where you're coming from. We'd all like to think we're indispensable...and that we belong and are wanted...but sadly it's not the case.

When you get back put things where you like...it's your room, make it work for you.

11. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Really? if you are not able to deal with a desk being moved or a room decorated then I don't think you are fit to be a teacher. It was therefore the correct thing to do to leave. Get a grip of yourself. you are a teacher not a Feng Shui master.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow... really is that called for?

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Have you asked where you desk is, and if it can be moved back for next term? Or looked at the room as it now is and thought about whether your old way of having it could be improved? Yes, you should be able to put the room into a state that suits you to teach in it, but I think it reasonable for somebody who will be the sole user for weeks to set it out as they want it.

14. Mrskeletor

Mrskeletor New commenter

Apply water to burned area OP! :-S

15. Lara mfl 05

Can't seem to add quote now but in reply to subman 68's comment 'Really? if you are not able to deal with a desk being moved or a room decorated then I don't think you are fit to be a teacher. It was therefore the correct thing to do to leave. Get a grip of yourself. you are a teacher not a Feng Shui master.'

I also think that was harsh.

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

But @mazpaz how do you know they weren't going to put it back before your return? Maybe they would have done? We'll never know.

Really though. Don't sweat it. Your OH is right. You're a unit of labour and nobody did it to get at you (unless you have had those kind of issues before). It was just practical at the time.

I think you are being a bit over-sensitive. But it'll all be forgotten when you get back in the swing of things. We do rather unwisely think of 'our' room but it isn't really.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  17. mazpaz

I think Subman hasn't quite got the point. It's not about the physical moving of furniture but the feelings of not being a part of the school/team being sub-lined or indeed written out of school life. I think many teachers nowadays in today's far more ruthless climate worries about their job. We are easily replaced and I know having been off for some weeks for the first time in my career, I am extremely concerned that I will join others who have been forced out. Especially as I am UPS..
    As for inky p' s comments I appreciate the time taken to reply and appreciate that we all see things and deal with things in different ways and respect the way that situation made him/her feel. I'm sure and hopeful I have been too sensitive and my fears will dissolve into nothing once I'm back. I also know as I am currently unwell I am likely to be more sensitive than usual.
    Paz

18. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Sorry all if you think I am being a bit harsh. It was a reply to the person that said they could not cope with the changes, went on the sick and left.

I understand the idea of being upset that the room (not your room) was changed about. Really this is not the biggest issue in education is it. If you are going to become really stressed about this then our modern schools are not he place for you.

If when you get back to work they:
    Wont give you a key for the class
    Wont give you a pigeon hole
    Don't include you in school emails
    Walk out when you walk in a room.

Then you should start to stress, not when someone has moved a desk (that you don't even sit at as you are not there)

19. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

I wasn't even out of the building when my class was rearranged. The head of teaching and learning was doing my PPA cover, or should have been, when he used an NQT from a parrallel class to help him rearrange my room. I left it as he did and the following week he realised he could no longer use the Smart board as there was no socket where he had put the desk and computer and equally no where near the board to balance the computer if he used those sockets.

Yep you've got it -experienced and previously outstanding teacher with UPS3 and a TLR!

20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

OK, it's not nice to find your stuff moved.
    I would work on the basis that you can stamp your identity back on your working space - (remembering that it's also the children's working space).
    If they won't let you have the desk or your other stuff back then it's time to start fretting.
    Meantime, enjoy the holiday and get yourself into the right frame of mind to have a positive term
    P