1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being fobbed off?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Graham1982, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hi all:

I have recieved mixed messages from my school about the following situation - some of whom are quite entrenched in their mistrust/skeptisism of decisions made and therefore the opinion of someone outside of the school would be useful:

Due to restarting my NQT as the school I originally started in was put into special measures, I have finally finished my NQT a term earlier than my peers at the school in which I am teaching. I assumed therefore that once I was qualified I would be transfered onto the M1 scale and would therefore, in effect recieve a payrise. However, I also thought that the school might try to wriggle out of it.

I originally asked SLT/bursar and he told me assuredly that my salary will only go up in September and not before. I took this as gospel. However, naturally, I was a little disappointed. Subsequently however, a colleague of mine assured me that no matter the excuse, if I am now a fully qualified teacher I should now be paid as such.

I know the obvious answer is to contact my union to discuss this. However, before doing this I was hoping someone could let me know either way.

Thanks in advance...

2. Hi all:

I have recieved mixed messages from my school about the following situation - some of whom are quite entrenched in their mistrust/skeptisism of decisions made and therefore the opinion of someone outside of the school would be useful:

Due to restarting my NQT as the school I originally started in was put into special measures, I have finally finished my NQT a term earlier than my peers at the school in which I am teaching. I assumed therefore that once I was qualified I would be transfered onto the M1 scale and would therefore, in effect recieve a payrise. However, I also thought that the school might try to wriggle out of it.

I originally asked SLT/bursar and he told me assuredly that my salary will only go up in September and not before. I took this as gospel. However, naturally, I was a little disappointed. Subsequently however, a colleague of mine assured me that no matter the excuse, if I am now a fully qualified teacher I should now be paid as such.

I know the obvious answer is to contact my union to discuss this. However, before doing this I was hoping someone could let me know either way.

Thanks in advance...

3. Teachers go up a point of the pay scale each September and not at any other point in the year I'm afraid. You're qualified as soon as you gain QTS at the end of the PGCE year - not when you complete your NQT year. You should have started on M1 when you were first employed as a teacher - are you saying you're not being paid on M1 at the moment?

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

If you don't get a quick reply on here, you may want to put on the NQT forum with "Dear Sagacious" in the title. Good luck.

5. Assuming you are working in a state maintained school you should already be on M1. This is the starting salary for teachers (NQTs). What else could you be paid on?
    You may only move up the payscale in September. This is a national rule.

6. Hi Graham
    The SLT/bursar is correct that people only change pay scales in September. Most teachers start their NQT year at the lowest level of the qualified teacher scale - M1 - so I assume you are actually asking about when you move on to M2
    However, if I understand correctly, you were working in another school before this one...
    If you were employed by this first school for 26 weeks or more, then you should have "automatically" gone up to M2 last September, but If you left them before 26 weeks duration, then unfortunately progression does not happen (unless you were employed directly by the LEA for some other teaching role in other weeks during the year - did you do any supply work?).
    I'd guess that if you only completed one term at the first school, you may have left too early to move up to M2 at the start of this year... but if not, you may need to give evidence to your bursar to get back pay!
    Hope this helps
    Liz

7. Hi, apologies for the late reply. This is/was my situation:

I think we can assume that I am already on M1 and my misunderstanding/lack of interest in the payscales until this point has caused an erroneous query which has created some more questions.

In answer to your questions:

In Sept 2010 - December 2010 (I think I officially left on Jan 1st 2011) I worked for a term as an NQT at special measures school but I left after a compromise agreement as I did not feel I could qualify here this was with LEA A;

I then taught from late Jan to June/July at an academy in Peterborough however, I obtained this position through a private agency (if this makes a difference which I guess it does).

Since September 2011 I have been working in my current school.

Thanks

Graham

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your work in the Special Measures school in 2010 was not long enough to meet the 26 week qualifier and your private agency work at the Academy later in that school year is not eligible, so you were on M1 in Sept to Dec 2010 and stayed on M1 for any LA employment in the 2011/12 school year.
    If you meet the 26 week qualifier in this school year, you will be entitled to M2 for any LA teaching in 2012/13 school year.