1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I being exploited?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Exit3, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Exit3

Exit3 New commenter

Hi everyone :)
    I recently gave up full time for part time (2 full days per week). Anyone out there good at Maths? At my school we have 6 period days. I have one non-contact period per day (making a total of 2 per week - 2 full days). I have noticed some other teachers (full time) who have their timetables pinned to the wall in their classrooms, appear to have more non-contact periods than I do. I also do a Duty on both days. I have been given extra responsibility too that I don't really want. I am finding I am working a 40 hour week (including the PPA at home) and this doesn't include Parents' Evenings etc. This is not what I thought part time would look like and not what I can continue with. Thanks for your thoughts :)

2. First Snowdrop

First Snowdrop New commenter

Hi
    Do you have a Job Share partner, or are you stand alone Part Time? I was 0.6 (3 full days Job Share) until July. Between us, my JS partner and I equaled 1 FT teacher on rotas, which meant I did approx 60% of the number of duties of FT staff. For PPA, it worked out at approx 30 mins per day worked for both FT & PT staff, so I had approx 90 mins PPA per week. For extra responsibilities, it depended on whether staff were main scale or UPS and would have been approximately pro-rata to FT responsibilities of someone on the same pay scale. It's worth discussing rotas and any responsibilities you don't think you should have with management.

Parents' evenings - we weren't required to attend on days not worked, but apart from one each we couldn't do in many years, my Job Share partner and I did all, and found that helped not only give and receive the full picture to/from parents, but also saved us time we would have spent making notes for each other and feeding back. Part time often isn't what you expect it to be workwise; all part-timers I know spend more than their paid for pro-rata hours working, especially if needing to liaise with staff teaching on the days we don't.

Hope this helps :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'm never quite sure if the 10% PPA is of the timetable including your PPA or your teaching time, but either way 2 periods for 10 teaching periods is good going. If full-timers are getting more than the minimum entitlement, then so should you, pro rata, but I'd be surprised if most full-timers are getting any more than one non-contact per day. Remember that some may have extra because of some responsibility, and NQTs are entitled to 20%.

As far as non-teaching activities go, if you're under STPCD, your directed time should be 40% of a full-timers. It doesn't have to be 40% of each individual activity - duties, staff meetings, parents' evenings, etc. That means that if you are not working on staff meeting/parents' evening days, then it might be reasonable to be doing a bit more on duties, but if you're doing full whack or pro rata on the meetings, then you're probably over the directed time limits.

As a part-timer, you sometimes need to be strict with yourself to make sure you don't spend too much time. We can all spend a lot longer perfecting things if the time is available - a full-timer usually physically can't.

Lara mfl 05 and First Snowdrop like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think quite often part-time isn't exactly as part-time as one expects. I know a colleague who asked for part -time but whose timetable then worked out over 5 days :( and so OK the lesson proportion was part-time but it was almost made as difficult as possible.

It may well be that if you are working, the schools need you to do duties on the days you are there.

Yes it may seem unfair, but I would have thought more common than you may have though before.

First Snowdrop likes this.
  5. xtra

xtra New commenter

Same here! One full time member of staff in my department only has 4 more teaching periods than me over a 2 week timetable, they always seem to be free when I'm teaching and are never used for cover which is really annoying. I was told before I went part-time that the school would seek to get their "moneys worth", I work about 50 hours a week and my contract says 20. I don't think there is anything you can do about it though.

6. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

That allocation of free periods seems reasonable.
    The issue of duties all comes down to whether you are still being worked within your directed time hours, if so they can expect it of you.

In terms of fairness, as a part timer, I do find that my middle and senior managers seem to think I "have more time to do things" so I definitely get more extras thrown at me that are not pro rata. I have too keep fighting those.
    As a part timer I think you have to be willing to say no when you judge things unfair, though that is not always easy.

7. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Yes you are being exploited. Why duty on two days? Everything should be pro rata including extra responsibilities.

8. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

I went through a variety of arrangements as a part timer - some were fair; others not. When I job-shared, we took it in turns to do duty - so 1 year I would do it and she did it the next - this was slightly unfair as I was only 0.4. Then they changed the system so that all part timers were the 'spare', so we only did duty when someone was off/doing speaking exams etc. By the end I was doing 1 day a week - so 50% of my days I had duty as opposed to 20% for full timers.

PD Days were initially fine - I did 2 full days each year. However, it became a problem as they started to expect me to go in for more than I needed to and as they were often covered by 1-2 hour sessions after school (usually on days I wasn't in), it would have been really inconvenient and expensive for me to travel for such a short time. (I would have been paid for the extra time but no consideration was shown for my other commitments/travel expenses.) So I always did the full day at the start of September and picked 5 hours of the most relevant CPD offered, some of which was usually on days I was in.

On the other hand PPA time was always fair. When it was cut, it was cut for everyone (we had been getting a bit more than 10%). Parents' evenings I attended if I had a class in that year and as there were a lot of split classes (so I wasn't always the main teacher), it usually worked out at 2-3 per year, which I was happy with.

9. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

Could be to make up for the extra PPA she has. 12 periods over 2 days at PPA 10% is 1.2 PPS A periods. The OP has 0.8 periods more PPA than entitled so assuming 50 min periods 40 extra mins...is that being clawed back on a duty?