1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am i being conned?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by erimus, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. Back in January I did 4 months supply at a local school which ended at Easter when i get a contract at another local school which I dont think the school I was doing supply at was too happy about! I got a phone call in May saying that the school was saying I had been paid for 4 days one week when they were claiming I had only worked 3 days. I checked my diary and the agency and both backed up the claim that I had worked 4 days and not 3 days and so I heard nothing more and thought it was all sorted until yesterday!!! I received a payslip which claims I owe the agency a days pay due to working only 3 days instead of 4 days for this date back in February which is now 7 months ago! I phoned up the agency straight away and they are saying the Head has been on the phone getting rude saying they want their money back so the agency has no alternative but to do this! I am not happy as I know I did work this and the agency even backs me up but they are still giving in and are saying I owe them money!!! To add further insult.... they said they will pay me a day and a half for the next day i work so then surely they do believe me so why are they caving in?!

2. Hi everyone. Back in January I did 4 months supply at a local school which ended at Easter when i get a contract at another local school which I dont think the school I was doing supply at was too happy about! I got a phone call in May saying that the school was saying I had been paid for 4 days one week when they were claiming I had only worked 3 days. I checked my diary and the agency and both backed up the claim that I had worked 4 days and not 3 days and so I heard nothing more and thought it was all sorted until yesterday!!! I received a payslip which claims I owe the agency a days pay due to working only 3 days instead of 4 days for this date back in February which is now 7 months ago! I phoned up the agency straight away and they are saying the Head has been on the phone getting rude saying they want their money back so the agency has no alternative but to do this! I am not happy as I know I did work this and the agency even backs me up but they are still giving in and are saying I owe them money!!! To add further insult.... they said they will pay me a day and a half for the next day i work so then surely they do believe me so why are they caving in?!

3. Was your timesheet on paper or did the secretary do it online? If anything, this is a good lesson for us to learn to keep the paper ones for awhile then!! At least you get your money back in the end, but yeah, the agency always seems to be on the school's side.

4. Unfortunately it was done online which makes me think in future I need to get some form of written evidence! One of the other agencies I use has paper evidence which is much more secure for myself.

5. I get the impression that both schools and agencies can be completely unscrupulous when it suits them. I have joined two agencies, both of which demanded their own CRB. One of them tried to charge me twice, saying that I had not paid for the first one, even though I showed them a bank statement, showing the cheque payment.
    When I was made redundant, last Easter, the school only paid me up to the last day of term, rather than the end of April, and i am still waiting for my redundancy payment, too. Union are working on it, but the school seems to be ignoring them.

6. Major con. You could always request they look back at their signing in book as that will prove you were there for the day. The agency do always seem to take the side of the school.

7. Impossible with some agencies because ALL TIMESHEETS ARE NOW COMPLETED TOTALLY ONLINE AND HAVE TO BE VERIFIED BY THE SCHOOL'S ADMINISTRATOR!???!!

8. Agencies will always err on the side of the schools because how do they get their money?!
    I'd be pushing for a copy of the school's signing in record to be sent to the agency to prove you weren't there on the disputed day - that's about all you can do really. With paper timesheets it's more of a faff short term but easier long term in that you can keep a copy of it yourself (I always scan and email mine into the agency cos I'm too cheap to pay for stamps - it means I have them all saved on PC with the school name and date to prove I was there) but more agencies are going for the school verifying it online approach which kind of scuppers that plan.

9. The Head teacher of this school is nothing but a common thief and should be brought to task over this with all legal means possible. Firstly you need to be 100% sure you worked on that day and 100% sure there were no problems at all on that day, if that is the case then this is the proceedure for making a formal complaint about the Head teacher. Contact the Chief School Governor, the school must give you their contact details. Outline your complaint to them. Contact your LEA and send them a copy of your letter to the Governor. You can also contact OFSTED to. If you are a Union member contact your Union they will be able to offer legal advice to you. The Employment_Rights_Act_(19 96) states it is unlawful to deduct money from your wages for no reason therefore the Head teacher has broken employment law, and should be worried about losing their job. You can also take them to the small claims court or write to your local paper to see if they would be interested in running the story. If the Head came into your house and stole from you, you would call the police. This is no different. The law is there to protect you. Do not let this "person" get away with breaking the law. If you take no action then you only have yourself to blame and Head teachers willl continue to think they can get away with anything.

10. I'd be inclined to play hardball with the agency. If they agree that you worked yet they have caved in to the school then they should suck up the days pay themselves. They are half way towards this anyway by saying they will pay you a day and a half for the next work you do. They only have to go the last step. Be tough!

11. Anyone who has read any of my posts knows I'm certainly no apologist for the agencies but in this case it isn't the agency causing the problem it's the school. The last two agencies I have worked for say in the contract that monies will be paid for the completion of a days work even if the school does not pay the agency. However, the school has broken employment law, persue the school, and make that disgusting Head Teacher suffer.

12. I spoke to the agency a few times today and they have agreed to foot the bill so I will not lose out now. Glad its sorted but its left me with a bitter taste regarding that school.

13. Glad you got it sorted out but you really still should take action against this Head teacher, because if you don't they will just do the same think to another supply teacher. Maybe name and shame the school and Head teacher?

14. I'm sorry folks, but clearly, it is wake up time. You did a huge amount of work to be qualified teachers. You got your piece of card and your GTCE number (well done you) and this is how you get treated. I have also been treated like a leper by agencies and schools alike and made the choice to leave. It has done wonders for my sense of worth and self-esteem. You shouldn't allow yourself to be treated in this manner, but as you are only a supply teacher (a leper) you let it go, after all, they might give you that job...... they might be the ones who "make" you. Sadly, there are mugs and there are people who use mugs. It is time to man up and stop allowing yourself to be beneath excrement.