1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I alone in thinking the Police are overstepping their authority?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrLinus, Mar 31, 2020.

1. DrLinus

DrLinus Established commenter

upload_2020-3-31_11-9-33.png

Coronavirus: Police told to be 'consistent' with lockdown approach

I am very supportive of the the work of British police and their general regard for the consent of the public and while I have dismissed as aberration their recent fondness for moderating social media the above picture, together with the way they have lately been stopping cars, surveilling private citizens via drones and ordering shopkeepers to cease selling particular goods makes me wonder if perhaps a minority of them are wicked or of severely subnormal intelligence and have been disastrously promoted beyond their abilities.

As I said, I am very supportive of the police and I am glad that the Police Chief's Council, the College of Policing and a former Supreme Court Justice have spoken up about this but I wonder how our society could be more selective in the recruitment and promotion of our watchmen. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    BetterNow likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As long as they are being sensible then fair enough.

bombaysapphire and Wotton like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I am frequently surprised by the priorities the Police have. It is re-assuring to know that all serious crime must have been solved if they can find the time and resources to stain a pond black!

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not sure it is an aberration. Reports say that the police regularly dye the water here to deter swimmers because the water is toxic and contains sediment from the old quarry which irritates skin. The police do say, however, that on this occasions they stained the water to help deter risky gatherings to health at the pool.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. DrLinus

Some kind of signage would be in order. From the appropriate authorities of course, not the police.

Morninglover likes this.
  6. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I think the pond was stained some time back by the local council because the water was pretty but tainted.

I, too, think the police are overstepping the mark and find it worrying that they are doing so and that so many people think it is acceptable and are unaware of the law of unintended consequences.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

8. DrLinus

I do not think any of the examples I cited are necessary and I worry what the police might do, for example, to the Roman Wall were they to decide it was too alluring to the local population.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. DrLinus

Excellent. Then people swim at their own risk and the dye is unnecessary.

It is nice to see that the police managed to get their own snaps at this beautiful location before they despoiled it.

[​IMG]

agathamorse likes this.
  10. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I overheard my neighbour discussing how this happened to her Mum; she was pulled over by the Police and asked where she was going. She replied that she was going to M&S to get some essential items from the food court and the Police questioned why she wasn't going to the supermarket that she had just driven past. She wasn't going to that supermarket because she was actually going to M&S to do some clothes shopping, followed by meeting up with a group of friends. Obviously she didn't tell the Police this as she knew it was against social distancing but that wasn't going to stop her doing it. What is going to stop her is the thought that the Police are now tracking her and will recognise her car if she tries to flout the rules again.
    There are some people that only regard rules based on how strictly they are enforced.

11. DrLinus

Here is a lady being written up for using spray chalk to provide customers and pedestrians with direct structure to assist in their social distancing:

"The law is the law. It doesn't change just because of what's happening. Otherwise there'd be anarchy in the world."

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

In answer to the OP's question, 'some police forces, and some individual police officers - yes, they are oversteppng their authority'.

I'll be interested when we go shopping in a few days (for the first time since this lock down started): we need to drive past the Lidl 500 metres from where we live and go to another one 2.5 miles or so away because Lidl doesn't sell the only soap we can be sure won't cause Mrs Morninlover's severe eczema to flare up - and if we don't, next week she'll be wasting her GP's time to get medication to cure the flare up caused by using the wrong type of soap; I will have pleasure telling any nosy police officer what we are doing, and why, and if he/she doesn't like it they'll have to arrest me!

13. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

No I don't think the police have overstepped the mark. Actually, for once, I think the police are doing what they are supposed to be doing which is protecting the nation at large in this time of turmoil. No doubt when it's over though, they'll go back to prosecuting for 'hate crimes'.

Perhaps if people weren't so damn selfish and realised how easy it is for people to get this virus...

It really sickens me that these "environmentalists" which are supposed to be so conscientious about people's lives on the planet yet they defy laws that keep other people safe in order for them to enjoy a few hours of happiness. It's okay to gather at Greta speeches but be damned about the property and greenery are destroyed in the process. Look up Bristol and you'll catch my drift.

However, if people are gathering and not abiding by the laws put in place, then they have no right to scream for treatment if and when they get infected.

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

That, of course, was ridiculous - you see lots of chalk marks on the pavements all the time; never heard of anyone being fined before. Hope the shopkeeper refuses to pay the fine and forces them to go to court (but I bet they won't).

As the shopkeeper says:

"All of this was happening in front of actual graffiti on the walls around us".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11272625/cop-threatens-fine-baker-north-london-coronavirus/

nb [on edit] I see the fine was cancelled and the police officer 'spoken to'!

15. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Do you think the police took this photo?!? Has one of them got a giant (invisible) selfie stick or did they set up the camera on a timer some distance away? (Then all manage to half turn to face the camera at the right time)
    Or maybe it is more likely that this wasn't taken by the police but by a member of the public walking past.

16. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I thought you could go shopping and from what you described sounds like a necessity. I guess the police have to be cautious because there are those selfish types around who only care about themselves. However, I doubt the police in my area would really care, I mean, did they care last Monday when I reported a loud bang that sounded like a gunshot? I haven't seen any in the area and you think there would be after reporting something like that.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

"Hello you're through to the police..."

"There's a couple of burglars in my shed."

"I'm sorry sir, all our resources are tied up at present. We can only deal with absolute emergencies."

"They are standing a couple of feet apart."

"Be with you in five minutes sir."

bevdex, jellycowfish, nick909 and 8 others like this.
  18. DrLinus

Yes, I think it was likely taken by a police officer. There are something more than two police officers in the United Kingdom.

The police would not have permitted a member of the public to be there. That is why they were despoiling the pool.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Nice going on the 'randomly blaming people you dislike for something that has nothing to do with them'. Environmentalists are, as a group, defying the social distancing rules are they?

Burndenpark and chelsea2 like this.
  20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Having a long history of being dealt with by the police and the last interaction being in 1982, I learnt that if you don't draw attention to yourself, you should have nothing to fear. From almost weekly interactions with the police from the year 1973 through to 1982 and nothing since 1982, I have found that a simple and polite interaction can reap benefits in that you go on your way.

Keep it simple and get your story right. It's always worked for me.

It's amazing what you can get away with if you know what you're doing.

Point in case: my neighbour. He's now self-isolating. His girlfriend can't visit and has had to celebrate her birthday alone. It's my neighbour's birthday on Saturday and the emotions are rising and clouding reason. She is keen to come over. Yesterday's question from my neighbour was "should she drive over and then the village will see her car or, should he go to her house (which she shares with family) and pick her up?"

Then another question "when exactly are you next going out to get food (allowing that I go by his girlfriend's house when I food shop)?"

So pleased I live alone and have eschewed all that wriggly and squirmy stuff decades ago.

And I ain't no people smuggler.

jellycowfish, agathamorse and DrLinus like this.