1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Am I alone in finding that vets bills for pets are more expensive than the bleedin' pets cost?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How do you work out that it costs forty five quid for a vet to give a dog a treat to keep him occupied while he takes a brief look at a sore paw and say it will heal on its own if the dog stops licking it, when if you attempt to look a it yourself and hold the dog still whilst one of your wives applies aloe vera to the wound, the dog will lacerate your arms in its attempt to be freed?

It can't be right, can it?

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Proof that we should privatise the NHS pronto! ;)

How many you got?

3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Lol.

Strangely enough, I was just emailing the vet for a repeat prescription for my cat.

She is on the same tablets as me (for high blood pressure!)

They can be a worry can't they, these animals.

Edit: Ever tried giving a cat a tablet?

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Fortunately, both cats have had/ had no real problems with taking medicine. Sabrina the cat (RIP) was diabetic for the last six years of her life and had to have an injection every morning - as long as we distracted with food, no problems.

Felt/feel very guilty that we didn't catch Sabrina the cat's last illness (she died within 24 hours) and so, had the bloods done at the vets for Daphne (see picture) a few weeks after her mum's death (no problem) and then brought her into the vets for a sore foot - 65 pounds. But you know what? I'd rather have the vet double check that all was okay, then the alternative. If we hadn't taken Sabrina to the vets, I would have been even worse (cried for the three days and still miss her (she was 15 when she died)), thinking that the vet could have helped her. Daphne is 14 and in great shape (cross fingers) even gained a wee bit of weight (since she can eat at her leisure, Sabrina the cat ate everything in sight)...

we love them and to be honest, taking them to the vet shows the love we have for them so that if it is something serious, we know our pets are taken care of.

cissy3 and midnight_angel like this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is emotional blackmail and legal too.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Strangely enough the three dogs plus cat went for their annual vaccinations yesterday.

£380!!

OK, there's Spot's heart tablets PLUS the latest mega-monster-epidemic.

I'm talkin' 'bout FLEAS. Frontline Spot On no longer works on our tribe so we have had to go for Bravecto. And today I have to spray the whole house and everything in it. Almost.

And WASH everything. Bloo- dee HELL.

cissy3 likes this.
  8. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

One of my cats had a tooth extraction a couple months back. The vet offered me antibiotic tablets for the aftercare, or for an extra £14.95 of the normal price of tablets, the vet could give her an antibiotic injection, which would last two weeks. Quickest decision I've ever had to make - I paid the extra amount for the injection!
    Other than the fact it wasn't a large amount extra, I actually got all the money back, for the whole procedure and after care, from the insurance company (minus the excess), and it saved a whole lot of trouble and stress for both me and cat! (P.S. Love the cartoon).

cissy3 likes this.
  9. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I spent $200 having an eye operation on what neighbouring farmers were quick to point out was a $20 chicken. She was a special pet though, and much loved. :)

I'm lucky that the vet is now happy for me to diagnose ailments, and buy antibiotics and ointment for the birds, without having to pay for a consultation.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I saw the thread title and was going to say something along the lines of Lanokia's post. We will be paying out like that for ourselves if we lose the NHS. Yes, there will be private insurance (as there is for vet's bills) but that will vary as to what is covered - ever seen Breaking Bad?

cissy3 likes this.
  11. Biles

Biles Established commenter

So it will be like France or Spain or perhaps Belgium or Germany?

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Earlier this year I spent over £900 on an operation on our 10 year old dog. Mrs. M. suggested we get her insured, not possible, too old. I was under the impression it was like life insurance in that as long as you keep paying, it lasts for life, not so, they abandon you as the pet gets older. I worked out how much it would have cost if we had insured her from a puppy, it was well over £900, about 2-3x the amount and not even accounting for the fact that it would rise as she got older. She's a cairn terrier, so small and healthy and on one of the lowest rates, £50-£60 a month seemed not unusual for some breeds.

Vet costs have risen significantly since the advent of pet insurance, if you're forking out that much you want your monies worth if the pet is ill, as the owner isn't paying directly the drugs and vet time all seem to risen significantly over the last 10 years too.

I took another now deceased dog to the vet once as Mrs. M. was concerned that she had a overly itchy rrse. A few minutes and £45 later the vet confirmed that she did indeed have an itchy rrse and it would probably stop soon, nothing could be done, he didn't even give it a latin name.

It's definitely a reason to fight against NHS privatization, let the money men get their grubby paws on it and it will spiral out of control.

Dragonlady30 and cissy3 like this.
  13. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Get pet insurance - you never know when you will be hit by a huge cost

Out cat that we found abandoned in the snow one Christmas had lived with us for several years but was taken severely ill att the cattery when we were on holiday. If we hadn't had pet insurance it would have cost £2,000 for 3 days at the animal hospital on a drip having tests.

cissy3 likes this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Never regretted the fortune we spent on good old Kitson (now deceased, sadly). He was worth every penny.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I am much easier and cheaper to look after and would make a good pet. I am fully house trained and never lick my own bottom.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Promises, promises...

17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Well, I just took kitty out for a brief bit of fresh air.

She has failing eyesight, and the vet recommended that she be kept indoors, to prevent her being attacked by other cats, or even foxes

Trouble is, she's a very outdoorsy cat, and yowls the house down to be let out!

Hence the neighbours will see me at all hours of the day and night, creeping around the back-garden, whilst I follow in her footsteps!

midnight_angel likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed it cannot.

After my ageing pet, a Peruvian giant yellow-leg centipede called Gareth, had his 57th hip replacement, I took stock of how much this was all costing and got Rover, a European slow worm. (No hips!)

Dragonlady30 and cissy3 like this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Does he not suffer much with abrasions and lacerations? Rover? I hear that's a fairly common problem with anguis fragilis.

Cheaper though than 57 new hips. Germolene will probably fix it.

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You can now get lifetime pet insurance policies. The premium is fixed for the life of the pet but there is a get out - they can refuse to continue the cover. Our oldest lurcher now has ongoing arthritis and kidney failure. At one point last year we were claiming about £100 a month on his insurance. In came the renewal and they wanted just over £100 a month. We can't move his cover now though. The younger two are going on lifetime policies as soon as possible!

Our biggest recent expense/inconvenience has been dealing with the dog running into me and breaking my knee. 16 weeks on and I am still having physio. I hope my school were insured for the cover costs. Less Act of God more act of dog!