1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Always turn down offers of help from no-nothings.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by xena-warrior, Jan 19, 2016.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Behold the wrist of pain. I do all the cooking here. Today Dear A turns up an hour earlier than expected and offers to help with dinner. When I cook rice, I put THIS much rice in with WITH much water and boil it for THIS long. Perfect rice, perfected over decades of practice. Today I lift the (admittedly strangely rattly) lid to receive a steam scald from a pan of rice with treble the amount of water the quantity of rice required, boiling at a rate that the atmosphere of Venus would have given up on.
    As I speak, the redness has turned to white blebs.

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

3. xena-warrior

Aaaargggh worse than the pain - the incorrectable "no-nothing"! You know I meant "know-nothing"! I blame trauma.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That sounds nasty.

5. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Ow ow ow. Poor Xena!

6. xena-warrior

Blimey, not looking very good this morning. A mixture of large and small blisters and a big raw patch in the middle.

7. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I hope you've been to have it looked at.

8. xena-warrior

The skin has all sloughed off the blisters so there are five big raw patches. I rang 111 and they told me to go to the GP. Rang GP and said "I don't need an appointment, I just need advice on whether I should cover this up or let the air get to it." Nurse was there at the time and said to come in now. Result is I have a mighty non-stick dressing covering half my forearm, a repeat appointment and a "what were you thinking?" lecture off the nurse.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thank goodness. It sounds horrid. Does it hurt?:(