1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by stressedsciencetrainee, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Apologies for the rant, I am very frustrated at the moment.

I am a Science (Chemistry) teacher who is halfway through her NQT year.

Last year I applied for 8 jobs, got interviews for 6 and got a job on my 4th interview. The first 3 schools I interviewed at were pretty nice schools. The one I got the job at was a really horrible school, I didn't like it at interview, but took the job for fear that I wouldn't be able to get another job in this economic climate. Six months later, I resigned.

This year I have applied for 3 jobs so far in nice schools (2 before I resigned), two offered me interviews. Neither offered me the job, although both gave me very positive feedback and told me I would have been suitable for the position, just someone was a bit better.

Am I only fit to work in a really bad school, because that is what it feels like right now? The only school that has ever offered me a position was one so terrible I got depression and left in six months. Will I never be able to get a job in a decent school? The longer I am out of work the more worried I get. What half decent school would want someone who resigned from their previous job? The only type of school I will be fit for is one like I just left.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think you're sort of stuck on the 'I'm not good enough' merry-go-round, based on assumptions about 'good and bad' schools. Even the 'worst school', if it's a 'good fit' for your personality, can be a 'good' school for you personally.It is so often a case of just 'fitting in' to a school and the ethos there.
    I sort of sense it is the behaviour of students which you consider to be of the highest importance, in which case Independent schools will <u>generally but not necessarily</u> offer better options and they can be really choosy over who to employ. I've found working with less able and 'disruptive' students can be challenging, but can also be so rewarding when you 'get through' to them.
    You really need to do a good' think through' of your application, as if any of this negativity is coming through in your application, it won't help you be attractive to an employer.
    Think back to why you went into teaching. What drove you to want to do the job? Find that drive again and rewrite your application. Do not aplogise for why you left your first school.It just wasn't a 'good fit' for you. You need to discover what will be.