1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

always supplying and without a good salary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by yaiduor, Mar 25, 2016.

1. yaiduor

yaiduor New commenter

Hi, I am a Spanish teacher. I have been teaching 2 years in UK but I can't find a decent job. I spend my days looking for a job in a school, I end up with agencies and umbrella companies, getting paid daily, teaching bottom sets and facing the most rude students in London (sometimes I had to hide myself to not being attacked with weapons). Also, agencies always pay me late, no holidays... It is being 2 years I spend my holidays at home (well... home? I live with 8 people and my room has a paper-wall). Could someone give me an advice??? I do love teaching but in these horrible conditions that are almost inhuman... I just want to pack and leave UK forever!

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

sounds like getting out would be a better option than your present existence. Is there a particular reason you have chosen the UK? With the ability to speak Spanish and English (I presume) there must be jobs elsewhere in the world that would be more rewarding. Many UK teachers are going abroad as it is quite frankly awful in some schools under our present system.

3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

You have mail. I have sent you a PM.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Do you have to be in London?

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

You might be better off moving out of London. There are decent schools in the UK but you have to look hard to find them. Your living expenses outside London would be less as well. Don't apply for jobs through agencies, but apply directly to schools. Search the TES job ads as a start and the Career Forum has many tips and advice for job seekers.

I am truly sorry you are having to live and work under such terrible conditions. Don't give up though. If you can find a job outside London say in the East or South you will be better off. Do have a look on the Career Forum.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

good suggestion to move out to the sticks. I found a GOOD agency will look after you and get you plenty of work if you are reasonably flexible. After that, if you work at the same school regularly, they will often give you longer term work and eventually long term or permanent work.
    incidentally, could you teach French to young children? My primary school has employed a secondary trained Italian teacher to teach through the school, at the same time training us Anglos how to teach French properly. Hope she stays next year as it has been an excellent move for everyone concerned.