1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Always shortlisted, never appointed.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SouthBeachGirl, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I have had three interviews over the past few weeks.It's always the same, outstanding lesson, make the final shortlist but lose out at interview.
    Feedback varies from "you appeared nervous", "not aware of management role (position was nothing to do with SLT)", "you diverted from the question", "you didn't seem to want the position".
    I always do my research on the school, find out as much as possible about data, ofsted. what they are looking for etc but can't seem to get it right.
    Any advice?

2. I have had three interviews over the past few weeks.It's always the same, outstanding lesson, make the final shortlist but lose out at interview.
    Feedback varies from "you appeared nervous", "not aware of management role (position was nothing to do with SLT)", "you diverted from the question", "you didn't seem to want the position".
    I always do my research on the school, find out as much as possible about data, ofsted. what they are looking for etc but can't seem to get it right.
    Any advice?

3. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I am no expert at all but here's my threepence worth.

Do you think you come across as nervous? How do you think this manifests itself? It is understandable to be nervous but most job specs I see ask for confidence.

Do you answer their questions directly?
    Why do you think they think you don't want the job?

If this is the feedback you are getting (and it is quite specific) then I would try and consider it. Because the feedback is nothing about data, ofsted or researching the school well. Their feedback is that they are not experiencing you as enthusiastic, confident and direct. And that's what they want. Do those traits die in you during an interview? Do your nerves get the better of you and stop you from shining? COuld you get some coaching?

HTH and good luck for other interviews. Outstanding lessons during an interview is not something we can all pull off!

4. The only thing I can contribute, is that its going to take perserverance.
    I think that you are learn something from each and every interview, and you just need to take your new experiences forward and build on them in the next one.
    I know its hard to be told that you didnt get the position. I was devastated a few weeks ago, when being told by what I considered as my dream school to 'apply again next year.'
    Keep at it, you're obviously writing brilliant applications. Go in with your head held high, and make them see that you deserve the position for all the brilliant things you can bring to their school.
    Also, don't forget school's have to provide feedback, but take it with a pinch of salt. Sometimes they might not actually have a proper valid reason. Sometimes they just like the other person on the day.
    Good luck with your future applications, and remember you have got to believe in yourself. Because if you dont, nobody will!
    I sound like I am after Theo's crown!!!!
    Best of luck xxx