1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Always ditches feminine on packaging

Discussion in 'Personal' started by phatsals, Oct 22, 2019.

1. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

To make products trans and binary inclusive.

Speechless.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:confused:

Please explain.

3. phatsals

Sanitary products for periods. No longer using the feminine symbol on the packaging so they are more inclusive.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

So every 28 days, a person who is not able to menstruate will buy a pack of pads and stick them in their pants for a week?

dodie102, BetterNow, WB and 4 others like this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

what an odd assumption.

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Everyone has to have a hobby.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Are they going to advertise them as chewing gum then ?

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know what that symbol means cos I'm a birdwatcher and that's the universal symbol for Mrs Mallard or whatever.

It's a lolly with two sticks.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Do you have an alternative explanation? Always are trying to score Trendy Brownie Points?

BetterNow likes this.
  11. phatsals

I think they are going to be 'gender neutral'. Not quite sure how that's going to be marketed.

BetterNow and towncryer like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

So is having a period now considered to be a societal construct like gender?

BetterNow, Nanny Ogg and towncryer like this.
  13. phatsals

It would appear so. If only I had known sooner.

Mangleworzle and towncryer like this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

They are for menstruators not just women.
    Similar to cervical screening being available to people with a cervix rather than just women.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Those objecting to the symbol on the packaging claimed that trans men, who still have a womb and ovaries and still menstruate, are discriminated against by having menstruation sanitary products being targeted at women. They got one company to change the packaging. Consumers are now starting to boycott that company.
    You mistakenly thought that trans women, who do not menstruate, were buying and wearing sanitary protection every month.

16. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

It’s a positive gesture by the company

The change in packaging would hardly be noticed by most customers

Lillets was traditionally in a quite plain darkish blue box probably as a discrete design

The idea behind it is that for some trans men having periods is something that can make dysphasia worse - this could be because someone is waiting to be seen by a GIC which can be well over 2 years wait

Gender dysphoria can be quite traumatic

Typically the right wing trash press such as the Sun and Mail are all over the story with their usual transphobic narrative

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

In all the years that I needed tampons/other,I don't think I ever paid attention to whatever the packaging looked like.

peter12171, Mermaid7, bevdex and 2 others like this.
  18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

But why would a trans man object to the xx chromosome symbol being on packaging when they still have XX chromosomes and always will have?

19. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Also mediation ( tablets, creams etc) has gender neutral packaging - the contraceptive pill for example - why aren’t people up in arms about that

BetterNow likes this.
  20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

They will still be used by people who menstruate. I fail to see how the removal of a symbol would make you think they were to be used by people who don’t.