1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to the Highwayman - suggestions please!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gill42, May 14, 2011.

1. gill42

gill42 New commenter

Have you looked at The Mad Professors Daughter - can't remember who wrote it!!! It's quite scary but I did it with a year 4 class last year for narrative poetry and they loved it. There's a lot of mood, tension, imagery etc in it - you should be able to get quite a lot out of it - just make sure you know it inside out before the lesson.

2. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

A shorter narrative poem that could be used for this unit is 'The Listeners' by Walter de la Mare.
    Huge amount of mystery/atmosphere and unanswered questions. What made the traveller so late and what had become of the people at the house to whom he had come to deliver his message?
    This might work well because it is a shorter poem for the class to read therefore allowing more time for discussion.

3. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

I've just looked at The Mad Professor's Daughter on Youtube. A BIT scary? It's terrifying!

4. I agree, The Listeners is excellent. Also, for inference and deduction, What Has Happened to Lulu is brilliant. I use both of these with my Y6's and they love them both.
    Theres another one called the Smugglers but cant remember who its by which is also great, but may be a bit too advanced for Y5. Flannan Isle is also brill but is very long so you could perhaps use a section and give chn the task of writing the next stanza using the info they have obtained already. Hope this helps [​IMG]