1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

alternatives to SIMS for registration and reporting

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by djphillips1408, Jul 11, 2011.

1. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

My current school still uses pen and paper for registration and reports. Now we do run sims across the school but I am loathed to pay capita the numbers they want for the likes of lesson monitor. Are there any cheaper options out there that will integrate with SIMS? I can not see us ever moving beyond just registration and reports.

2. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Hi
    Bromcom would be my suggestion depends where you are based really (as you could come and see ours) as we have bromcom for reg and real time reporting online but you can add reports to it!

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

4. Nice Starter for your WJEC AS Level Unit on using IT in Register Systems.
    How could we improve on the current system?
    What are its advantages and disadvantages?

5. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I think the best advice would be use one system, I wouldn't try to mix Bromcom and SIMs it's another thing to go wrong.
    We did use Bromcom to update SIMs but we had issues with the export etc etc, moved over to Lesson Monitor this year and it's been fine.

6. djphillips1408

Thanks for the advice all and I would imagine that we will have to go lesson monitor route. Just wish the boys at sourceforge would help us all out cos this costs a bloody fortune and they have you over a barrel.

7. Sourceforge wouldn't touch it I'm afraid, unless you pay the ridiculous Capita API licence fee.......the free alternative of course is to drop your SIMS class lists through Command Reporter into a free / open source registration program, have that handle it all and get it to report the results through Moodle to parents..... the only issue there is the data doesn't get held in SIMS at all...

8. djphillips1408

I know it's a sod isn't it. I ahev never understood why the governement just doesn't employ 20 programmers on 50k a year to make the stuff for schools. They could knock out a sims clone in a year no problem, it would cost the taxpayers £1 million and schools would not have to pay multiple millions into the pockets of the likes of Capita. Call me a cycnic but I reckon there must be a few brown paper envelopes being passed around whitehall to stop this obvious solution.

9. Put me in a room for a year and I'd do it for 60k... and it'd be more robust than SIMS.....

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Air Traffic Control
    NHS
    London Ambulance Service
    All stunning examples of Government ICT Projects.

11. Idea.
    Take the best ICT/Computing teachers that are programmers, give them £30-50k each to work over summer. After 2 years you'll have an entirely bespoke school system, free to all schools to use, and your costs are £30k x number of programmers each summer to add upgrades and fixes....
    As we've said before, we're not in teaching for the money but quite a few of us are a darn sight better than the Capita, RM and Serco Facility programmers that are hired.....

Edit: Apologies to those programmers, just re-read this and realise it's likely to be as much about poor leadership etc at those companies than being inherently bad at your job.... but some of those Facility pages / module addons... eek.

12. Well said! Absolutely spot on!

13. robot1

robot1 New commenter

We used to use Bromcom for registers and Sims for everything else. It mostly worked well. The Bromcom register is much nicer than the one in Sims. We moved over to Sims due to cost as we were paying Bromcom and Sims.
    We now use Sims for everything, registers, reports, behaviour and assessments. On the one hand it makes a lot of sense to have everything in one system. But on the other had Sims isn't a great system to use. The interface is at least 10 years behind the times. I think they moved to Windows reluctantly and would have loved to still have a CLI using DOS. The poor interface causes us major problems. We have run a number of training sessions on the Behaviour module but many of our staff still can't use it. The same staff happily book holidays, do their banking and shopping on-line. The Profiles reporting system is the worst I have ever seen.
    Sims seems to have monopoly and this leads to absolutely no innovation in their user interface. I hope you do find something better, maybe if enough schools do, Sims will wake up and sort it out.

14. Delivered by the lowest bidder who, despite numerous previous failures, still managed to land government ICT contracts because only big corporations can deliver.

Stick it on Sourceforge with a £100,000 bounty.

15. Reading this thread I'm tempted to start developing a SIMS alternative! However meanwhile i can offer this free online report-writing software (now with an OOOPS! DETECTIVE that helps stop cut&paste errors!)
    See TES resource here:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6204573
    It
    manages your statements and auto-replaces names, his/hers, she/he,
    etc plus also has a useful option to make drop-down lists for
    achievement levels and project titles etc which you can then include in
    your statements. You end up doing less editing of the final text and hence make fewer mistakes. It's
    free, easy to use and works online. Also handy for project-work and homework feedback etc.
    Regards,
    Linden

16. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

What do you export your timetable to? what db are is your census and hence funding dragged from? I guess SIMs, so lesson monitor is your choice. Bromcom adds an additional layer of complexity and will cause problems with registering students on the day of a tt change. You'll be a day behind.

17. djphillips1408

Please don't worry about my initial request any longer from this resurrected thread. We are sticking with SIMS

18. I love old threads.

David, with your newfound love for programming, you may want to have a play with the commandreporter tool installed on a SIMS local machine - you can pull out a lot of nice data from there, and then start programming a web app around it! =)

19. "Please don't worry about my initial request any longer"

Phew. That is a relief. I've been getting really anxious and concerned about your request over the last year. Thanks for posting that I should put my mind at rest.

20. We think SIMS is very very useful MIS that delivers a full range of requirements - attendance - student data - reporting, assessment, rewards, behaviour, results - BUT we are more fortunate than most as we have a full-time plus 0.5 staff members who set up the system and who provide just the level of support needed to get the most out of SIMS. As many of you will know, the total costs of ownership extends far beyond the purchase/lease price.