1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to sand?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mac64, Jan 26, 2011.

1. We have been using a mixture of dried pasta and pulses for our sand tray which the children really enjoy using. Very similar qualities to liquids, great texture etc. So far we've had no problems but someone felt that possible allergy issues. I've seen lots of places using this mixture as well as rice so I assumed that so far these alternatives have not been banned. Are they considered safe (apart from the potential for eating them etc as with most materials and objects)? I been Googling and so far no mention of allergy issues.

2. We have been using a mixture of dried pasta and pulses for our sand tray which the children really enjoy using. Very similar qualities to liquids, great texture etc. So far we've had no problems but someone felt that possible allergy issues. I've seen lots of places using this mixture as well as rice so I assumed that so far these alternatives have not been banned. Are they considered safe (apart from the potential for eating them etc as with most materials and objects)? I been Googling and so far no mention of allergy issues.

3. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I have yet to work anywhere where they havent been used so I think your quite safe to use. We have some children that attempt to eat the sand but we still continue to use.

4. Thanks for the reply.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have heard that there are issues with dried pasta over food poisoning and also things like beans can be dangerous too.
    But they should not be eating them!
    Porridge oats are good and cornflakes and split peas.
    But it gets all over the place!

6. The only allergy problem you might have is if a child was a coeliac, even so you can get gluten free pasta. Have you tried cooked noodles? They are really good fun......cleaners don't like them much!!

7. skills324

skills324 New commenter

I have to confess since ive been in reception ive only ever used sand and water. I have used shredded paper after someone gave me the idea but ive never used pasta or anything else.

Do you just simply put pasta in- do you let the children add water to it?
    Beans and noodel- sounds exciting. Is it just a case of puring them in the sand tray and see what they do with it?

8. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Loads of ideas in resources posted by myself but I can't paste a link for some reason??? Search "Sensory Play" Or go to www.alljoinin.net and go to printable resources section and click sensory play

9. Fabulous. Thank you! lots of brilliant ideas.