1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to RM Maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cinnamonsquare, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

We have used RM Maths for goodness knows how long, and I absolutely love it. But we've just had a new network installed and are no longer using RM community connect. When we (or rather, our new ICT techy-bods) tried to reinstall RM Maths it said it wasn't compatible with our new system. (It seems RM are sneaky enough to make their software only compatible with their operating systems [​IMG])
    Does anybody know of anything similar to RM Maths? I may be able to persuade our head to part with some more money following our overhaul of the ICT suite and curriculum.

2. No idea sorry but if you find out i would be very interested [​IMG]

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

I haven't looked at it, but I think education city (I think that's the name) do something similar and include other subjects as well.

Sorry, not much help,but it may be worht a look?

4. cinnamonsquare

Ah, I've heard of EducationCity, but never seen it. I'll check it out, thanks zannar.

5. We have just signed up to 'mathletics' which the kids love. You can organise your class into ability groups and keep an eye on their results. They can take their password home and use it at home as well.

6. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

Education City is very useful - we got it last year and I use it in teaching inputs and for group work in literacy, maths and science, but it requires a lot more setup than RM Maths - you need to choose the particular activities rather than children moving through them automatically. We have both, and I think they are both really useful and motivating but if you can get RM Maths working, definitely use it!

7. cinnamonsquare

Thanks chezz, that sounds like it has similarities. I'll look into it :)

8. cinnamonsquare

Well, I spoke to RM and they say it should work. It seems out new ICT admin is reluctant to install anything on the new system that might slow it down! He's now looking into it after much grumbling from me and the ICT co-ordinator :)

9. We have used RM for many many years - tried some other things but none are as good for tracking and moving children without teacher intervention.
    We do not have any specific operating systems - just loaded the CD into the normal school network service (Windows based, PC system) and it is fully networked and works no problems. It does not slow our system down - we have every computer in the school using it and it runs all day every day in every class, so possibly 25 computers all using it at the same time - no problem.