1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to returning to school

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by clematis, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hi all, baby number 2 is eight weeks old and I'm starting to seriously consider my options for after maternity leave. I love teaching but hate all the hassle that goes with it, plus my school is hard work. I will ask for part time but havd no chance of getting it. So, any ideas for part time, reliable work that a teacher could do that would give a good work life balance and keep my blood pressure down?! Preferably I wouldn't do much or any work in the evenings. So far I'm asking for the impossible, aren't I?! Any ideas or experiences gratefully received xx

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Secretarial work. Temp med or legal secretary work always used to be in demand- I imagine it still is. Many hospitals have secretary pools.
    If you find something, let us know! OOh, an congratulations [​IMG]

3. I'm guessing you've already thought about supply/cover supervisor/TA/tutoring type roles?
    I did a course on proof reading and copy editing, with the intention of doing it after mat leave. Unfortunately I failed the assessment! Also, I was surprised to find it quite boring. However, if you are an English teacher it may be right up your street. The company is called Chapterhouse. Good luck!

4. Thanks ladies! I don't want to do supply as I need job security but have considered TA- I'm especially going to look for special school vacancies I think. Any other ideas? Anyone else made the break? Xx

5. To put that into context, used to teach in a special school and hated the fact that I was planning lessons differentiated enormously but I was barely getting to implement them and the tas had the more hands on role...

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

TA-low pay, prob tempcontract only and as much hassle as teaching, though slightly less paperowrk, only my opinion though, maybe better for you

7. With how supply is these days - wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy - it's dying, it's dying miserably and it's dying fast. I've gone from a steady 4 days a week work, down through 2-3 days and in this academic year I've had 2 half days and a full day and the agency are putting the squeeze on me to cut my daily rate and go out on half-day "free trials" to schools now (and of course any school is going to say you weren't quite what they wanted in order that they get sent a steady stream of freebies aren't they?). It was a good way of life once - but I'd not recommend it now.