1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Mufti Days?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mcarbl, Oct 4, 2018.

1. mcarbl

mcarbl New commenter

Hi all

I work in a secondary school. Traditionally we have one Mufti Day every half term, to fundraise for 18 charities that the pupils select over the year. They’re very successful, with each one raising around £1k.

The vast majority of pupils absolutely love it l, but small number (2) of parents have contacted us ahead of our first one this year, saying how their children don’t like them and feel peer pressure on these days. I totally get it.

Thing is, our Head now wants to looks at alternatives to Mufti Day. It’s a bit naff as the Mufti Days are no-effort, high yield every single time.

We’re a faith school and do lots of fundraising events on a regular, planned basis (cake sales, sponsored walks etc.) I am aware of charity fatigue but would be gutted to lose such a successful (and easy!) strategy.

Any ideas/experience of other high yield strategies?

TIA

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Wonder if any alternative will provoke fewer than 2 complaints...;)

3. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

My former school used to have pyjama & onesie days, and "wear a particular coloured accessory" days and hoodie days where it was normal uniform except for the hoodie/accessory. That meant that everyone could take part without it being so far from normal school uniform that people felt peer pressure. The school was in an area with a vastly diverse intake in terms of pupils' backgrounds - the highest % of pupil premium in the area but also lots of kids from a really well off part of town who'd show up to school in cars that cost vastly more than my annual salary, so this was a way of avoiding major disparity between the sort of things kids would wear for a non uniform day.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Jeans for Genes day. Go for jeans but keep the rest of the uniform,

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Not sure about pyjama/onesie days - since that's the part of your wardrobe that is not normally seen outside the family, it's more likely that it's something you wouldn't be happy being seen in - and for some girls it might not even be something you'd want them being seen in. I can see that prompting a lot of extra purchases.

I like the idea of just jeans, or just hoodies, or something stripey/red/whatever. Also, if it's only part of the uniform that is replaced, it's a lot easier for the child who doesn't happen to have whatever it is to come in uniform and not stick out, or come in something reasonably close (eg sweatshirt if they have no hoodie). It's probably also easier to borrow when there's a specific request: "does anyone have a spare stripey shirt" is a lot easier than "does anyone have a spare set of trendy clothes".

6. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

I hate pyjama days. The words professional and pyjamas have a conflict :)

7. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

What's a mufti day? :eek:

NotAPowerRanger likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Non uniform day - all pupils who want to come out of uniform can, if they pay a set sum (say £1) to the chosen charity.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If the kids don't like it, they can just wear uniform and not pay the money surely?
    OR do a partial day...like 'wear trainers' or 'red jumper day' or something.

10. mcarbl

mcarbl New commenter

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Believe me, it’s not my idea to bend to the whim of two parents when the other 1200 are happy.

I suggested that the pupils in question just wear uniform if they don’t want to wear their own clothes, or even wear their PE kit if they wanted. The parent was happy with that, when they spoke to me, but now they’ve approached the Head directly and she’s asked me to think what we could do as an alternative, but raises an equitable amount of money.

Truth is, nothing we do raises anywhere near as much as Mufti Days!

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Bad taste day.

Any kid feeling embarrassed by their clothes can explain it as bad taste.

frustum likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'd quite like a sponsored "bring your own pen to school day", but a sixth sense tells me that OP does not work in That Type Of School.