1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Mathletics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by modgepodge, Nov 10, 2017.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

has anyone got any suggestions? School currently uses it. I think it's user friendly for teachers and pupils but I'm disappointed by the content. Most of it is far too easy for the year group it's aimed at. E.g. The y5 multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 & 1000 didn't include questions with decimals - so just adding and taking away 0s from the end of the number. "Multiplication facts" for with y5 or 6 (I forget which) is 10 questions along the line of 4x5. Not timed to improve speed or anything, just 10 year 3/4 level Qs. Putting y6 on the year above's curriculum then presents me with LOADS of algebra, and little that relates to the y6 NC. I get parent complaints that HW is too easy and I agree.

I've previously used mymaths and think the maths content was better, but it was not user friendly at all, for teachers or pupils. On a desktop it was annoying, on an iPad (via puffin academy app) it was virtually unusable. Got parent complaints about this too!!

Is there something better out there, or has anyone found a aolution to the problems above?? My preference would be no homework set but that's not an option. I am reluctant to set homework that needs marking due to the impact on my work load for something I think has little value.

2. damo6bomb

damo6bomb New commenter

I really like mangahigh. There is loads of competition in that as well so I’ve found the children want to go on to be top.

3. modgepodge

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look in to it.

4. moleylong

moleylong New commenter

Sumdog. It assesses the children's levels and targets questions at them. The kids love it and they run local and national competitions in which you can win paid subscriptions for your class if they come first. We find the free account is great though.

5. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Blasphemy.

I love Mathletics...!

6. modgepodge

Sum dog - thanks, it looks good. I like that there is a free option, as our mathletics subscription doesn't expire for a while and persuading the bursar to buy something new immediately is going to be hard! Thinking I could trial sum dog alongside mathletics for a few months to see how it goes. On the free version what can you see in terms of assessment etc for pupils? And can you set specific tasks on it?

Has anyone used hegerty maths? Also looks good but is a bit cryptic in terms of what's involved, costs etc and has a bit of "we might not accept you for our wonderful program" about it!!

7. modgepodge

Do you really? Or are you being sarcastic?

8. moleylong

moleylong New commenter

You can see their percentage accuracy, no of questions they've answered correctly and the level they're working at. I'm sure there are other things too though, as we only really use it to encourage them to do a little extra maths at home, I'm not entirely sure what's on offer.

I believe you can set what areas you want children to work on as well as the website using it's diagnostic tools to set the questions.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have magahigh.
    Kids like it as it is more or less playing games under the guise of maths.
    Parents have been mixed in their response. Some like the leaderboard and some don't.

I'm not a big fan, but don't mind it too much. Certainly feel it is better than mymaths, which never quite seemed to have what I wanted.

Our head of maths sets almost all homework on mangahigh and runs a lunchtime club for the older children to play.

10. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

No jokes man.

When used effectively, I think it's really good...

11. modgepodge

I’m keen to hear more. What does using it effectively mean? How do you use it? Do you not find the level is pitched too low for the year group it’s aimed at?

I currently set 2-3 tasks per week as homework. I often struggle to find anything for my most able which will challenge them, and even my average kids it looks a bit basic for. As I said above, multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 & 1000 didn’t involve decimals for y5. Wouldn’t you agree that’s pitched quite low? That’s just one example - I have this issue most weeks.

Really interested to hear how you use it as I think I’m stuck with it for the rest of this year and I’d love to make it work.

12. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Have used it in lessons and for homework.

Because my Y6 classes had generally finished everything by Xmas, I used to give them them the Y7, then Y8 curriculum.

I also experimented with elements of the international curricula that are available on there.

TBH, I wasn't that fussed if not every activity fully matched the demands of the curriculum (although most do); sometimes I had kids answering over 3000/4000 questions per week, that's got to be good practice...

I also found that the competitive nature of the system used to get some otherwise reluctant learners engaged...

13. mr-bean

mr-bean New commenter

I've actually just replied to someone else and recommended Monster SATs - www.monstersats.co.uk - we switched to this last year from Mathletics. Every school I seemed to talk to always seem to use either Mathletics or MyMaths - to be fair I never really rated either of them. Mathletics is too easy and although my pupils enjoyed the activities, I never really felt they were learning anything!