1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Functional Skills - Is there any?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by steve_michaels, Jul 12, 2019.

1. steve_michaels

steve_michaels New commenter

We work with 15-25 year old in the SEN environment mostly on 1 to 1 and we need to deliver Maths and English.

We currently offer Functional Skills (EN1-L2) or the City and Guilds 3847 which is an evidence based qualification and a nightmare for admin and record keeping, with a lot of hours of tutor work. To be honest not a qualification that I feel is not really accepted in the workplace or when the learner tries to move on to further education.

So I was wondering if anybody has come across any other alternatives, that would suit learners with high anxiety and confidence issues, is not administration heavy and perhaps could be put over to the learners as a generic qualification in a similar way to a vocational qual. Although it must embeds lots of Maths and English and be recognised by funding bodies and local LEA's.

L160JD likes this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Edexcel certificates in number & measure and statistical methods give certificated basic skills assessments. They work well with kids who can do the sums, but can't decipher the real life maths problems of FS.

3. steve_michaels

steve_michaels New commenter

Thanks looks like the sort of thing we should be looking at, but I can hear the voices from above saying ANOTHER EQA ARE YOU MAD...