1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Florence Nightingale?!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by I_love_puddings, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hello :)
    I am moving in to year 2 and am looking at my History planning. For Unit 4 (Why do we remember Florence Nightingale?), I am unable to do Florence Nightingale as it was covered in Year 1 so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas/planning for alternatives?
    Thanks sooo much in advance!

2. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

Have you considered using 'people/persons in history' related to your local area? Often you'll find the local paper has a local history reporter.In a previous school I have gone down this route very successfully.The reporter came in and spoke to the children about his research and the children were gripped as it was someone from 'their' town.

3. spider01

spider01 New commenter

How about Mary Seacole? Hamilton have some plans for activities based on her life, including home made ginger beer! You could look at the differences between her life and that of Florence Nightingale.

4. Choose a significant person and event and just go with what you think the children will really engage with. We do King Alfred as he was local to us, but also do Neil Armstrong and the Moon Landings which my Year 2s loved, as part of our Space Quest theme. You don't need to be constrained by doing the units.