1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to detentions?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Aboo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Aboo

Aboo New commenter

I am in a situation at present where it is not possible to give after school detentions to pupils. I would give lunchtime detentions but students quite like these (shelter from the rain) and they have not proven effective in changing behaviour such as persistent no homework. Any ideas? I probably could not get permission to remove privileges such as attending football practice etc.

2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Can you give them unpleasant jobs to do during the lunch time detentions such as clean the chewing gum off the tables, pick up litter outside etc to make them less desirable? Or use the time in a more mentoring type fashion to try to build positive relationships? (Not always the key when actually they might need a punishment, but sometimes appropriate especially with repeat offenders)

Otherwise:
    Phone parents

Use credit/debit systems to reward positive behaviour and try to build up some end of week rewards (things like listen to a favourite song or go five mins early rather than sweets etc) if credits reach a certain number.

Enlist support from tutors/other members of staff

Daily/weekly/subject report cards with very clear targets and an agreed reward like a positive call home if achieved

pepper5 likes this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

For some strange reason, schools refuse to link behaviour with the chance to compete in sports and represent your year.

I agree with the idea of getting them to clean up your classroom, pick up litter etc. A friend of mine you to run his detentions at lunchtime, and he would eat his meal whilst the students had to stand behind his chair.

Contact with parents is always a good one. Particularly if you can explain that without some kind of punishment their child will not reform. Most parents will agree to help Perhaps not as enthusiastically as this chap, mind you:

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Stop issuing homework?

5. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

I think schools do know there is a link between behaviour and external events like sporting competitions. They're just so desperate to win and build their local reputation, "naughty" kids are still allowed to go!

I think for many students, it would work brilliantly if poor behaviour in say Science, meant being kicked off the football team that week. But it's pretty harsh on the PE teacher who has spent the evenings coaching the team. And for other students, it would take away the only positive aspect and they might react by dumping it on their own terms.

More exercise makes us all better people so maybe a better option would be running laps of the field as detention - if only we were allowed to set that!

pepper5 likes this.
  6. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Could you write in pupil diaries? In the past I have put negative things down as in X interrupted me Y times in 10 minutes today. Use a tally chart for that. I also write positive things too. My first warning is to ask for the diary which goes on the desk. After that any infringement may result in a negative comment. But do positive things too like postcards home after 5 or 10 good lessons on the trot. I used to give a number for behaviour after each lesson. After 5 1s in a row a reward. A break in the row means starting again from scratch.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  7. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

If the behaviour is consistent, phone home.

8. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

You can see if there may be an evening where SLT are running detentions. I have come across this where there is a one fits all detention run by SLT once a week.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Not recommended any more - but memories of long ago, three boys being rude to kitchen staff and then being set to peel onions for 800 lunches as a punishment......

Happyregardless likes this.