1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to carb accompaniments?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mandinie_2000, Aug 30, 2011.

1. My husband and I are trying to lose weight and so far we're eating a healthy balanced diet with smaller portions, rather than crash dieting.
    One thing we have cut out a lot of is pasta, rice and potatoes but I'm running out of filling accompaniment ideas. We've been ratatouilled to death and I've even made chana masala from scratch!
    Any suggestions?!!?
    Thanks

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Try changingwhite rice and pasta for wholemeal. You eat smaller portions and it is more filling and nutritious.
    Use low cal veg like runner beans or steamed marrow (delicious sprinkled with chilli and black pepper). You can eat piles of these and they are low carb too.
    Root veg like carrots and parsnips are high in carbs so not a good choice.
    Also try cooking mushrooms in a little stock, or water and a splodge of marmite.......again you can eat loads of these.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes are an improvement...

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Try experimenting with pulses.

5. As a seasoned low-carber, I recommend; celeriac chips, celeriac dauphinoise, mashed cauliflower and roasted butternut squash as alternatives. I also make a 'lasagne' with grilled, thinly sliced courgette instead of pasta.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

just make sure you do get some carbs!

have you had a look at Moussaka ?

7. Lots of yummy suggestions, thanks!
    Incedently, I just made a crumble with a box of frozen 'woodland' fruit with oats and museli topping! A bit of roughage...

8. The texture of aubergine freaks me out a bit! Too spongy.

9. Annoyingly I like aubergine, but it makes my mouth itch crazily!

10. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Am in a simliar situation- thus far, have been using punpkin, sweet potato, eggs, marrow and things like lentils and chickpeas. My boyfriend had some beautiful potatoes tonight with porcini mushroom butter. I was so jealous!!!
    I gained really a lot of weight after breaking my foot as I could hardly do anything for 3 months but I think it will take more like 6 months now to get back to my best! Am also going to a boot camp for a month, have taken up running and am cycling instead of using transport as often as possible. Not sure how I am going to keep this up once term starts on Monday however!
    Good luck with your weight loss.

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oh, and quinoa. Pronounced keen-wa.

12. Try sweet potatoes and new potatoes - lower in cards and GI.
    Side salad or bean salad?

Just loads of green veg

13. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

When i did no-carb for a wee while i used to have mashed cauli with curry instead of rice, worked surprisingly well.

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I do feel sorry for the poor potato these days. Eschewed by carb avoiders. Abandoned for the convenience and versatility of pasta and rice. Laughed at for being boring by those trendy newcomers: bulghur, mograbiah and quinoa. The spud has had a lot of bad press of late, and its image has suffered greatly. Please don't abandon him completely! They are wonderfully tasty and ever so versatile (especially once you start looking beyond the standard "white potatoes" the supermarkets would prefer us to eat!). They just need a little thought and love!
    I can understand a diet where certain carbs, especially refined wheat ones or others containing gluten, might be reduced drastically. But the poor spud never did anyone any harm. And they really are quite good for you.
    Please. Give spuds a chance.

[​IMG]

15. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Don't worry Nick - I'm half-Greek...if I was to ever abandon the potato my Grandmother would come and beat me senseless with a stick!

16. I GL and don't ignore the spud. We have them at least twice a week but bulk out the meal with pulses. So we do Low GL rather than Low Carb - it is a very subtle difference but is far easier to swicth to and is very very easy to eat and enjoy!!
    Plus it works! I am losing a pound a week and not actually dieting. That and my choice of food is, again, expanding.
    I can heartily recommend Rose Elliot's Bean Book. It is veggie, but even my carniverous other half uses her recipes to fill up on. Most of them go really well with meat and fish. And they make a nice change from Indian side dishes!