1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to a maglite

Discussion in 'Personal' started by camronfry, Dec 8, 2011.

1. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to a maglite. Met someone who had a great one, really powerful beam, seemed very sturdy and it cost about £30, but can't for the life of me remember the brand name.
    It's not for anything in particular, just a good camping torch.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

2. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to a maglite. Met someone who had a great one, really powerful beam, seemed very sturdy and it cost about £30, but can't for the life of me remember the brand name.
    It's not for anything in particular, just a good camping torch.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

3. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Tesco are sellng a good 9 led light for £2.50. Surefire is an alternative to maglite but similar price. LED is way to go now.

4. Maglites aren't that dear. I have a 2xAA cell one which cost about £20. But a good alternative is an 'LED Lenser' brand. Very tough, and very bright. If you are camping I'd suggest a good LED head light - much easier than carrying a torch, and the light shines where you are looking. Very useful if caught short during the night!
    OtC

5. Which answers the age old question "do bears sh1t in the woods?".....Yes, if they have headlights.

6. It depends on whether you want a torch, a headtorch or a lantern for camping. I've got a few and I find a headtorch which has a variety of lighting modes suits me best. If you are looking for quality then "Inova" or "Lenser" are good makes. If you want a really bright light then look at torches with Cree LEDs as their bulb. I've just bought a torch with a Cree LED T6 and it gives off a 1000 Lumens - absolutely scary. I think a torch with 50-80 lumens output would be best for camping and even that might be a bit too bright. Here's a couple of links for info.
    http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/search/for/-/in/0/brand/8/options/0/attributes/0/price/0/page/1/

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/led-lenser-torches.html

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG]