1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative ways to cook

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by littlemissraw, May 25, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I wouldn't mind going on a foraging day but happy with my slow cooker/oven/grill/hob/microwaved meals at home [​IMG]

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm afraid I've done nothing more exciting that cooking on open fires or barbecues.
    I quite like the idea of digging a massive pit in the garden, filling it with red hot stones and throwing a goat in, but I suspect my wife would very possibly kill me.

3. For the first six months I lived with Mr W, we were living in a barn (building site) that was being converted by ourselves. As we didnt have a kitchen, I had to manage with only a toaster, a kettle and a microwave. It was a bit challenging, and meant we lived beans/eggs/tomatoes on toast supplemented by MnS ready meals and loads of salads.

Didn't bother Mr W at all, but over the summer holidays I was absolutely climbing the walls not being able to potter around a kitchen.

First proper meal we had was roast chicken and all the trimmings and I've not used the microwave since! The only thing I would use is an outside brick oven for pizzas and bread, but the listings police wouldn't allow that in the courtyard!

4. I'm quite adept at cooking on an open wood fire but it isn't something I do at home (OH likes having a lawn) plus charcoal bbq.
    I do really want to try a solar oven and had a sheet of various designs at home ready to try. Might start off with the design that uses a reflective car windscreen screen and see what happens. It also gives me an excuse to buy a black cooking pot - all the instructions are very clear that the pot MUST be black.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

These days I'm happy with cooking in my kitchen...I have a small stove (giving oven, grill and hotplates) plus a microwive, a slow-cooker and a steamer. This gives me enough cooking 'styles' to keep me happy. And I do the not-really-cooking of fish in lime juice et'c.
    I have tried other methods....particularly in the Guides. We cooked over on open-fire (even though I never went to camp, and we cooked in a 'haybox' - which fascinated me.
    I've also done mini-marsh-mallow melts over a candle! (Push a mini marshmallow and a piece of chocolate and a niblet of banana onto a cocktail stick and toast over the candle-flame!)

6. I've not tried either of theses but you can cook using your car's engine and you can cook using a dishwasher.

Apparently
    you can't cook and wash dishes at the same time which means I'll
    probably never try it - too much energy wasted but the idea of driving
    to a picnic place and unwrapping some foil wrapped hot food at the
    picnic does appeal.

Stephiw
    I know this is far too late but you could have used a slow cooker to roast meat.
    If I'm doing a roast dinner the meat goes in the slow cooker, the veg in the steamer and the oven is only used for roast spuds and yorkshires.
    I'm quite boring really - done BBQ and raclette and that's about it

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

I used to be pretty shit-hot at cooking on a Trangia - a spirit burner (meths) with a variety of pans that can go on top.
    [​IMG]

I did 3 months on the back of a motorcylcle around France once, with all our luggage strapped to my back: not much as you can imagine.
    We ate 3 course meals evry night and not a salad in sight!!