1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

alternative to Seroxat

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by somebodyelse, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hello there. I have a doctor's appt on Monday when I am going to ask to be put on anti-depressants. Long story and not something I am doing lightly. I know there are other ways to deal with depression - exercise, good diet etc and other treatments such as St John's Wort and 5HTP -both of which I have been trying for the last 6 months- but I have got to the stage where I do feel I need medication just as a short term stop gap to get me back on track. Seven years ago I had much worse depression ( I want to catch this one early as I am not feeling suicidal, so I know it isn't as bad as before) I was prescribed Seroxat by this same doctor. It worked fine - very well indeed - but it took me months to wean myself off it, breaking the pills into halves, quarters etc etc. Only after I had begun taking them did I read how hard it was to get off them. So my query is: do you know a better alternative to Seroxat that would make me feel brighter but not be so hard to come off? Thanks.

2. Prozac is pretty good and is not addictive. I have used it several times and have never had problems coming off it. Having said that, you do need to come off it gradually and not suddenly stop.