1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative to Polenta in cake recipe?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ROSIEGIRL, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I have a recipe for cherry and almond cake I want to try but it contains Polenta- just been to Sainsbury's and they don't stock it, only the solid form.
    Any ideas for the best way to replace it? Just flour? Flour + ground almonds? Help!

2. ROSIEGIRL

I have a recipe for cherry and almond cake I want to try but it contains Polenta- just been to Sainsbury's and they don't stock it, only the solid form.
    Any ideas for the best way to replace it? Just flour? Flour + ground almonds? Help!

3. You have Audrey as a reply button too...
    I would use ground almonds anyway, as that is what our family recipe uses.
    Polenta is just ground corn, so you can replace with ground almonds, semolina, ground rice, etc.
    The polenta would make the cake yellower - if you want yellow, add a pinch of saffron.
    I always use ground almonds for a cherry and almond cake.

4. ROSIEGIRL

Audrey?
    I'm a newbie to the cookery forum so you'll have to explain ...

5. TES is poltergeisting me and lots of you have Audrey Hepburn as a reply button to the right of your avatars....

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

What's up, CQ?

7. ??
    See above post.
    What is not to understand?
    I knew it was a bad idea to come back to this place, it just ends up winding me up. Not good for my soul.

8. ROSIEGIRL

(Sorry CQ!)
    Have made the cake (polenta-less) and it was fine, slightly bland but improved with keeping. Not that it kept for long ...

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Semolina can also be used.

10. ach! None of you are to blame - I am just fretting away again due to two folk on their last legs and I am a bit fed up of people dying on me.
    Sorry, none of you can do anything about that and it wasn't nice of me to let my frustration out on you.
    I had a loooooooooooooooooooong phone call with manashee and she sorted me head (and I think I sorted hers a bit, tee hee).
    Sorry again xxx