1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative to courgettes?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bedingfield, Dec 15, 2012.

1. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I am just starting to cook 'properly' (prepare my own food and not just open a packet/box and bung it in the oven). I have found some good recipes that roast vegetables including courgettes, which my two younger Bedingfields have said that they hate. I have used them in the recipes and the juniors have tried them but still dislike them. Tbh I'm not that keen but they do bulk out the dish.
    Can anyone suggest alternatives to using courgettes? The dishes are quite mediterranean in style and usually include also roasting peppers, tomatoes and onions.
    Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

2. bedingfield

I am just starting to cook 'properly' (prepare my own food and not just open a packet/box and bung it in the oven). I have found some good recipes that roast vegetables including courgettes, which my two younger Bedingfields have said that they hate. I have used them in the recipes and the juniors have tried them but still dislike them. Tbh I'm not that keen but they do bulk out the dish.
    Can anyone suggest alternatives to using courgettes? The dishes are quite mediterranean in style and usually include also roasting peppers, tomatoes and onions.
    Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

zucchini [​IMG]

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Maybe aubergine? Or just add extra peppers and tomatoes but try using different colours to make it look more colourful?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It might be that you're cooking the courgettes for too long. Peppers, tomatoes and onions need a while to develop flavour when you roast them, courgettes go to mush if you overcook them. They actually need very little cooking, and taste a lot better when they are firm. If I were you, I'd leave them out of the dish until the rest is virtually cooked, or cook them another way and add them.
    My favourite way of cooking courgettes is to heat some olive oil in a saucepan till it's very hot, throw in the courgettes, sliced into pieces about 1/2" thick, put a lid on the pan and give it a good shake. 30 seconds later, add a tablespoon of tomato puree, give the pan another good shake to coat and 30 seconds later, they're done unless you want to season or spice them up a bit. Try it and see if you can get the kids to eat a couple.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

EDIT
    I had posted a moan about courgettes being out of season and therefore not nice but that's hardly in the spirit of helping a newcomer to cooking so I'm retracting it!
    I'd suggest EG's ideas although I might expect courgette haters to dislike aubergines as well, despite them being quite different.
    I will say that it's worth trying them again when courgettes are in season - fresh, British courgettes tasted in season are a wold away from imported ones in winter.
    My wife used to hate courgettes but it turned out she'd always had them cooked badly. They're often boiled to mush and underseasoned in my experience. My favourite way is just to fry them, initially on a high heat and then with the heat turned down, in nice olive oil, with a good amount of sea salt and black pepper and a spritz of lemon juice at the end. Heavenly. I can eat plates of this just by itself in the middle of summer (although I might be persuaded to have a nice glass of something and some good bread as well!).

Lara mfl 05 and calamansi like this.
  7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i hate courgette however it's cooked, ditto aubergine. will potato help?

8. bedingfield

I follow the recipe and always add them later than the other vegetables - but yes they do seem to be really soft and mushy. I'll try and add them even later to the dish next time. I do sometimes add potatoes to these dishes and find that they work.
    Thank to those who have offered other ways of cooking courgettes or using aubergines. I'll give it a go. I've only tried aubergine in mousaka when on holiday and I don't remember them having a distinct taste.
    As for today, I'm playing it safe with roast pork and all the trimmings. No one in the family can complain about that.

9. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Might not work for roasting, but if making something like ratatouille or a mediterranean stew on the stove, broccoli or spinach (added very near end of cooking) are good 'green' replacements for courgettes. Could you add mushrooms to your roasting tin? Roasted mushroom, pepper and onion with lots of basil and oregano is yummy! I also recommend having a go at roasting sweet potato wedges if you're experimenting with roasted veg - toss them in olive oil and chili flakes.

10. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Better still, save ratatouille and its friends for the summer. We do try to be as seasonal as possible, though I must admit that the Guatemalan shelled peas we got from Tesco last week were lovely.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Blimey, @calamansi this thread is nearly five years old. What inspired you to dig this up? :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I suddenly realised this when I read I saw a reply by egyptgirl.
    To be fair calamansi is new poster and probably put in a search and this one came up.