1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative to Asset at KS4!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jk06, Jun 13, 2011.

1. We currently offer full GCSE and Asset Languages for our weaker students in MFL. Does anyone know of any other qualifications that have proved succesful and motivational at KS4? All help much appreciated!

2. Have you looked at the AQA FCSE and ELC specifications? 100% coursework and the top FCSE grade is equivalent to a D. The FCSE is also available in short course versions.

3. Our bottom sets do NVQ Business French/German level 1 in Year 9 and level 2 in Years 10 and 11. We use the ilanguages resources.

4. DON'T whatever you do, do NVQ! It is an utter waste of time. The kids are bored, likewise the teachers, none of us (unless you have some business experience) understand it, the resources are **** (definitely NOT written by a teacher), there's no explanation of anything, and (the nail in the coffin, as far as I'm concerned) the kids don't learn anything. Nothing to do with the quality of teaching (I assure you!) - I only have to compare the coursework done by the GCSE groups with those from the NVQ groups (we made them do it anyway), and there is no comparison. I would cheerfully throw the whole lot out of the window and start again with Year 10s. They were more motivated doing their coursework preparation than they have ever been doing NVQ.

5. I disagree. Our bottom sets are much more motivated, many of our bottom sets worry about remembering so much (coursework and speaking exams). They prefer the idea of doing assessments little and often. Each to their own though.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

We tried FCSE - hated it!

7. rosa11

rosa11 New commenter

having the same stress chez nous. GCSE for weaker kids plus FCSE assessments to give them a carrot. Sold to them: you'll get a D and if you graft you can upgrade to a C if you do the work for GGCSE.