1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative to AQA GCSE Statistics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by vickymcc, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Does anyone have any experience of an alternative to AQA GCSE Statistics? We currently sit it in year 11 as an additional GCSE but I have been unable to find an alternative which is currently up and running such as Methods in Maths or Applications in Maths for sitting in 2013.

2. DM

DM New commenter

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths?
    AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths?
    Both more difficult than GCSE Statistics though.

3. Thanks for this - I had looked at these but as you suggested they are too high a level for the majority of the pupils I am looking for an alternative for.

4. Don't forget, we've recently had the bonfire of equivalent qualifications. Remember this?
    The Performance Tables’ measures for 2014 will be restricted to:
    ? Full course GCSEs (at Level 1 and 2)? Established iGCSEs (at Level 1 and 2)? AS levels (at Level 3)? Level 3 Asset Language Ladder qualifications? Level 3 Free-Standing Maths Qualifications (FSMQs)? Graded music examinations at grade 6 and above (at Level 3)? Those Level 1, Level 2 and Level 1/Level 2 qualifications listed in the table below <font size="2" face="Arial">As far as I can tell, the table includes...
    - AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics
    - AQA Level 1/Level 2 Certificate in Use of Mathematics
    ... and no other maths or stats qualifications. (Note Level 3 FSMQs only, not Level 2.)

So I think the first alternative to consider to AQA GCSE Statistics is probably Edexcel GCSE Statistics depending, of course, what you don't like about what you're doing already.
    </font>

5. OP, sorry to sound a little rude, but...
    If they aren't bright enough to do Level 2 Further maths, why are you forcing them to do GCSE Statistics? Surely it would be better to get them the best possible grade in their GCSE Maths?
    If any of them want to study Maths or a Science at a higher level, this would be the best preparation. Also, I think an employer would be more impressed with a kid with some A* and A grades than one with a fistful of Bs and Cs. Your approach appears to be "Never mind the quality, feel the width."
    cyolba, fed up of being back already :)

6. DM

DM New commenter

Don't think that is rude cyolba - my thoughts exactly.

7. Thank you for your comments. We have always found, until recently, that GCSE Statistics has been a help to students gaining good GCSE Maths grades. The skills they learnt also prepared them well for the use of Statisitics and Maths in life and work. As a department we have always strived to teach Maths that gives our pupils enjoyment and life skills. Unfortunately with the new controlled assesment the qualification has been a centre of stress for staff and pupils and we feel it is now detracting from their grades and enjoyment. Hence we are looking for an alternative which will fulfil our department objectives.
    In addition to this we are timetabled as a subject with two qualifications and so get more curriculum time to allow for this, this will be withdrawn if we go back to doing just one GCSE.
    I have never been an advocate of turning out pupils with lots of qualifications but I do want to turn out pupils who have the skills they need for life and aren't afraid of maths.
    Head of Department

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've found CA to be SOOOO much easier than the old coursework. They can complete the investigative task well enough in a few hours, and the written task is easy money if you have prepared them well beforehand.
    It's a lot easier and quicker to mark too.
    What is causing your stress?

9. This year we have done the AQA FSMQ's in Financial calculations ( For students already achieving a grade C or B) and Money Management (for those who have got E,F or G). The ones who got A*/A/B who are considering A level are studying for OCR FSMQ Foundations of Advanced mathematics and the D's are resitting GCSE.

My opinion was that these qualifications whilst being extra bits of paper in their results envelope in August and therefore pleasing to the powers that be, more relevantly were actually valuable to them in their life after school.

It has made a total headache of doing the summer entries for me though!!! ;-)