1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative spellings

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by modgepodge, May 6, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I am teaching my year 1s phase 5 phonics. We have now covered all the alternative pronunciations, and are now moving on to alternative spellings. Thing is, I'm an NQT and on placement only taught alt pronunciations, so I've yet to plan /teach the spelling part. Any advice? How is it different to the pronunciation part? Any good activities/games?

I always think with alternative pronunciations they can keep trying different ones in an unfamiliar word til they get the right one. This doesn't really work with spelling. Is it worth trying to teach them some rules or is it too complex? Eg this week we are looking at ways of spelling /k/. To my mind, the general ru,es are:

Usually /ck/ following a vowel sound, eg duck, sick, sack

usually /k/ following a consonant or double vowel eg. Look, speak, week, Think, link

Words rarely end in /c/ but this is usually how word start

/x/ is rare and actually makes /ks/, never at the start of the word

/q/ is rare and usually in the middle of words eg marquee

This just seems like a hell of a lot for 5/6 year olds to remember!! But then most of them know all these letters make /k/ but use them randomly with no idea when to use each one. Plus some of these rules rely on knowledge of vowels and consonants that I'm not sure they've got. And that's quite a tricky concept right? Not something I can introduce in a review part of the lesson!

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

****, wrong forum, many apologies!!,