1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative Science Qualifications

Discussion in 'Science' started by big feet, Aug 15, 2011.

1. big feet

big feet New commenter

In September I am teaching teaching a group of 10 KS4 SEN pupils. I feel that the GCSE or BTEC qualifications would not be appropriate for them and I was wondering if anyone had used any other qualifications which were quite practical based?
    Thanks

2. big feet

big feet New commenter

In September I am teaching teaching a group of 10 KS4 SEN pupils. I feel that the GCSE or BTEC qualifications would not be appropriate for them and I was wondering if anyone had used any other qualifications which were quite practical based?
    Thanks

3. squeakyhaggis

squeakyhaggis New commenter

I've used Access3/Intermediate 1 chemistry with SEN pupils and got on really well.
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/39867.html
    In my last school, they had a group of pupils doing Access 2. I don't have any personal experience of it, but from what I heard it seemed to be a good option for the pupils involved.

4. big feet

big feet New commenter

This looks really interesting.
    Thanks

5. The major benefit of the AQA ELC, is that the course follows the same content as the GCSE, so for SEN pupils that understand the science but can't access the assessment, this gives them a route to demonstrate their understanding (particularly in the absence of the multiple choice exams)
    Students are also able to sit both the ELC assessments and the GCSE exams on the same content. This means that if you are unsure about the level of assessment that is appropriate or you want them to have extra qualifications they are allowed to at least have a go at both levels.
    Assessments are very accessible!
    We are introducing this in the coming year too!

6. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

I am going to teacher AQA ELC for the first time in sept.
    I have a question RE: The teacher devised assesments - does anyone have any good ones that fit the units that SEN pupils could access, thanks.

7. What do you mean by SEN? It is a rather broad term. Is it a speacial school you teach at or have you a LA set in a regular school that has a high level of SEN? It makes a big difference . Look at their CATs- are their any big differences between V, Q and NV?