1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative routes for KS4 SEN

Discussion in 'English' started by juxta, Jun 23, 2017.

1. juxta

juxta New commenter

As everyone will be aware, the new GCSE English Language and Literature papers are very difficult! Our SEN students simply cannot access these papers. I am just wondering if anyone out there is offering an alternative route or qualification either in place of these GCSE qualifications or alongside them.

Many thanks in advance.

2. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

A previous school I've been in have done Functional Skills through years 10 and 11; for some students as a 'back up' and for some as a replacement for GCSEs.

3. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Functional Skills

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

If you aren't tied to league tables, then the CiE (ie. International) 0500 English Language specification still has 50% coursework for most of the writing element (3 x 600 word pieces - the usual stuff - writing to persuade / creative etc. and very open as to what they do - happy to share ideas if you want) and they also still have a core (foundation) paper for the reading element.

I hope this helps.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

AQA's Step Up to English

6. wassurfbabe

wassurfbabe New commenter

We have just completed Year 9 tests and I gave the Silver Step up 2 to our booster group as well as the mock Paper 1 (on a section of a text they knew well though) and it was very interesting, I am now using the AQA descriptors on GCSE Ready/Entry 3/2/1 to determine next steps. We are investigating whether the pupils can be entered for GCSE AND Step up and therefore gain a Grade 1/2 at GCSE PLUS Entry level 3. Does anyone know?
    wassurfbabe