1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative Realities... My place, your place and the other place

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slingshotsally, Nov 22, 2015.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi All,

I try not to question my colleagues in too much depth as they like to live in a form of blissful ignorance.

Unfortunately, last week I was not my usual circumspect self...

My colleague decided to redefine regular shapes in maths. My colleague planned and expected me to teach that symmetrical shapes are also regular.

However, according to all my previous experience, text books and google this Regular shapes have sides all the same length AND angles which are the same. As below-
    https://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/regular-polygon.html

From my understanding it is possible for a shape to be symmetrical , but not regular. As below
    [​IMG]

I tried to explain this to my colleague, but said colleague preferred their definition to what is generally accepted. My colleague became intransigent and seemed to think I was challenging their seniority professionally.

After reflecting on this matter, I am left wondering what recourse I have if internationally agreed definitions are redefined. We share planning, so I am worried that I will be expected to teach the wrong thing, or be penalised for not teaching something that is entirely wrong.

What do you advise?

SSS

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Black is now white ... if someone senior to you in teaching says so...

Sweet is now salty... if someone senior to you in teaching says so...

Hot is now cold.... if someone senior to you in teaching says so...

Wrong is now right ... if someone senior to you in teaching says so...

Nod, say yes sir, nod again, maybe bow profusely.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Ah, SSS, You have my sympathy - and my gratitude for helping to put my current gripes and concerns into perspective.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maths is not a strong point among those higher up in our system.

Many still maintain that no child should be below average. Others fail to draw the distinction between computer generated statistical estimates and individual targets, despite being told by the operators of the computers that they should.

Don't even get me started on their use of spreadsheets.

cissy3 and midnight_angel like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Symmetry does not automatically imply regularly. Simple.

However, how you communicate this to your senior colleague is a far more complex matter.

Have you posted this on the mathematics forum?

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I once overheard a member of SLT say:

"I always thought that seahorses weren't real. I thought they'd been made up by Disney, you know, like unicorns and dragonflies".

7. slingshotsally

Thanks for replying.

Twilight zone comes to mind...

SSS

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I once went for a DHT interview at a prep school and during the tour of the school was surprised to see a weather station with the Stevenson screen painted matt black instead of white.

I asked the HT about it before the interview and was told that this was to reflect sunlight, of course.

When I asked who had made the decision to do this the HT said "Me".

I didn't take the job.

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

The same member of SLT also asked me where the Romans came from.

Noja, slingshotsally and lanokia like this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Dearie me.

Over there on the right in the list of most popular threads is one about references. In there (or in one it links to) is the comment that people sometimes get glowing references just to get shot of a weak member of staff who just isn't up to it.

Sometimes you have to look at SMT and wonder.

slingshotsally likes this.
  11. slingshotsally

Hi Sparkleghirl,

You make a pertinent point....

Many years ago I worked in a particular area of Yorkshire and there was an extremely unpleasant HT, who became rather well known for the brutal manner in which staff were treated. (I could name this HT, but this thread would be pulled)

Other HT's were aware that references weren't all they appeared to be, and so they ignored that particular HT's references. As the references from this HT were so unreliable, a bad one almost guaranteed an interview and a good long chat.

Most teachers were hired despite this particular HT's best efforts...

Do you think HT's are becoming wise to each other's tactics regarding references?

SSS

12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I suggest there is no such formal mathematical definition of a "regular shape" - as opposed to "regular polygon". You might find lots of educational sources equating "regular shapes" to "regular polygons", but I'm not sure this is a good thing. I simply wouldn't talk about "regular shapes" at all.

racroesus likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Sounds good to me @Eureka!

14. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Ta Rac. Furthermore, why not introduce "polygon" v early. Not hard to understand. A bit harder to define maybe.... anyone wanna try without googling?

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

*shakes head*

Years and years ago, a primary teacher poked her head out of her classroom door and asked "What's this? A turnip or a swede?"

Now you may think that was a valid question because there are regional variations.... but no, it was a parsnip.

cissy3, nomad and Eureka! like this.
  16. lilachardy

Polygon - shape with only straight sides.

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I like that Lilac! ;)
    P.S. Not sure if I can define a polygon to my TES pedantic requirements.....waiting to catch others out though!

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

errrm what is a shape?

19. lilachardy

Well I could have gone into plane shapes and 3D shapes and Platonic solids and fractals and so on, but I decided not to.

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

So this is a polygon?
    [​IMG]