1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative Maths Qualifications

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mharris9, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest an alternative Maths qualification at level 2 for low ability students - I know about adult numeracy but I am interested in hearing of any others.

2. Can anyone suggest an alternative Maths qualification at level 2 for low ability students - I know about adult numeracy but I am interested in hearing of any others.

3. Thanks Pete - I am aware of the FSMQ (our most able students completed it last year as well as their GCSE) - do you think this is suitable for students who are only predicted G's? I've heard of a course that is very much scenario based in its questions with a small piece of coursework (1 hour project!) but I can't seem to find it. Most of my research is leading to functional skills but i've heard these aren't great.

4. FSMQs come in 3 levels. Chances are your top students did the OCR L3 (Advanced) one, Additional Maths - it's at AS level standard.
    Level 2 (Intermediate FSMQ) is GCSE C-A* standatd so, to be honest, it seems unlikely that your low ability students will be comfortable with it. I may be wrong though.
    It sounds to me like you're really looking for Level 1 (Foundation), which is like GCSE G-D. There are some AQA FSMQs at that level as well - http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-6981-6982-6983-W-SP-11.PDF . These are part portfolio and part exam - not sure if it's what you're looking for though.

5. MathsMum5

MathsMum5 New commenter

6. The Certificate in Personal Finance has given a number of our weaker students a significantly better grade than at GCSE Maths.

JRR

7. The new spec AQA FSMQ are soley examination.

8. rutty81

rutty81 New commenter

Following the whole of Year 11 taking their GCSE exam in November, we started the Edexcel BTEC in Money and Finance (level 1) with our bottom groups. This worked well and included loads of topics that were useful for them e.g. saving money, credit cards, budgeting and enterprise. They do a level 2 in it as well but I think you would have do start it in year 10 to get it completed in time.
    The disadvantage is the amount of paperwork. It is all portfolio work so lots of paper chasing.

9. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Anyone do alternative qualifications to motivate students, with or without league table points? Interested in what you do, pupil response to it.

10. icosahedron

icosahedron New commenter

In year 10 we take out the very weak students and have a TA guide them through Edexcel's entry level mathematics. We've been doing this for 2 years and the response from the students has been very positive, they are happier because they are actually successful in maths lessons. When they finish (all level 3s so far) they then work through the foundation syllabus starting at grade G, then grade F etc. I decided to do this because a small quantity of students were unable to access the foundation curriculum and were becoming disengaged.

It seems that all parties are happy with this approach: the teacher has less of a differentiation problem, the TA feels that she has an important self managed project and the students are more comfortable with the maths.

From our November and March entries all but one of the first group have a GCSE grade and I am hoping that the remaining student will achieve a G in June.

11. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Interesting, does anyone use any other courses to maintain motivation?