1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative GTP/PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Mattyc33, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am currently desperate to teach. I have a 2:1 Sports Studies Degree and have been a TA in a mainstream secondary school since March '11.
    The school I work in has agreed to support me through a GTP however, after applying to numerous universities to obtain a place on a GTP I have either been told that they are not running the GTP due to cuts or that I don't have enough PE experience (which was hard to take seeing as I am unofficially attached to the PE department and have taught lessons to different year groups).
    Teaching is also a career change for me as I am 33 and have worked in various different industries throughout my professional career - but I understand that not all my experience will be relevant.
    It feels as though I am being punished for my degree choice and my question is if there is another secondary subject that my degree would enable to obtain a place on a GTP or even a distance learning PGCE?
    Thank you

2. Hi,
    I am currently desperate to teach. I have a 2:1 Sports Studies Degree and have been a TA in a mainstream secondary school since March '11.
    The school I work in has agreed to support me through a GTP however, after applying to numerous universities to obtain a place on a GTP I have either been told that they are not running the GTP due to cuts or that I don't have enough PE experience (which was hard to take seeing as I am unofficially attached to the PE department and have taught lessons to different year groups).
    Teaching is also a career change for me as I am 33 and have worked in various different industries throughout my professional career - but I understand that not all my experience will be relevant.
    It feels as though I am being punished for my degree choice and my question is if there is another secondary subject that my degree would enable to obtain a place on a GTP or even a distance learning PGCE?
    Thank you

3. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I teach PE, amongst many other things.
    Sports Studies is not really going to get you anywhere but PE. To me (call me a snob!) and to others it is a step below Sports Science.
    PE experience is not just working in a school - it's primary to secondary, sports coaching awards, psychology of sport, physiology / health and fitness.
    Can't you go down the PGCE route and apply direct to the Uni's? GTPs are few and far between, and there is a surplus of PE teachers.

4. Thanks for you response.

I have sports coaching awards in tennis, rugby, cricket and athletics and the psychology of sport was one of the modules throughout my degree.

The only way I could entertain the idea of a PGCE is through the distance learning route (even though I'm still not sure I could afford the fee) as I have two young children and need to earn - even if it is a low amount.

5. Hi I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you have experienced in securing a place on the GTP.
    The GTP is a very competitive route so it is inevitable that gaining a place on one will be difficult. The course providers will set their own requirements concerning experience and the suitability of qualifications. It may be the case that despite having a degree and extensive experience of teaching PE, it did not match the specific requirements laid out by the course provider. I would recommend contacting them for further information about how you could improve your application.
    It is certainly possible that your degree and experience would be suitable for teaching another subject. You should visit the Department for Education website for information on the areas that are covered by the various syllabi and how they relate to your studies, knowledge, and experience:
    www.education.gov.uk/curriculum
    I wish you the very best in your efforts to get onto a training course, and hope that you will soon be on your way to an enjoyable teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA