1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative exam for struggling GCSE student - help!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by birdstock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Basically, we have a year 11 student who is really struggling with the French controlled assessments and at this rate will achieve a 'U' grade. His parents have asked us if there is any way he can sit an assessment for a less demanding course (we were thinking similar to the old certificate of achievement) despite having followed the GCSE course.
    I have said that I would be happy to look into this but have no ideas where to start! Do any of you lovely peeps have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Hi,
    in my school pupils in that exact situation are made to do the FCSE (foundation certificate). We use AQA but maybe they have it in other exam boards as well. It is normally intended for Y9 (we use it to motivate them and it really works), it has three grades: pass, merit and distinction, corresponding to NC levels 4, 5 and 6. A distinction is equal to a GCSE D grade.
    Hope it helps [​IMG]

3. Ooh thanks for that! We do the AQA GCSE and were looking at the entry level requiements today. I'll look into it! [​IMG]

4. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

FCSE is much better than the entry level stuff. I'm entering a candidate for both FCSE and GCSE for exactly the reason you mention - he's just not going to get there at GCSE, despite his effort, but I know he can get level 5 or even 6 at FCSE.
    Some of us have put a discussion of FCSE at https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/456104.aspx.

5. Thank you for your help! I'm a bit concerned about this particular student though as there is no way he would even manage level 4 at KS3 nowadays. I think when he had his options interview he was steered towards MFL because everything else was full, bless him! If he continued with GCSE he would be lucky to achieve a 'G' grade so that was why we were considering entry level. It would be nice if he could feel that he's been successful at entry level rather than failed miserably at GCSE. I'll defo have a look at the FCSE though, ta!

6. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I teach very very weak children in year 9 and they have managed to get a level 4. I am not sure they would achieve as much with entry level. Level 4 is very doable.

7. Usually I'd agree with you but, despite lots and lots of input from us, this particular student is on another planet, bless him! He'll struggle to remember basic Q&A. I'll see him on Monday and see what he thinks. Thanks again for your help!