1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative English Qualification - now all ELs do not allow scribes

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by cw1979, Feb 1, 2016.

1. cw1979

cw1979 New commenter

Hi All

I am in desperate need of advice and help. Entry Level qualifications no longer allow scribes in the Writing sections, so what are you doing for your students with motor difficulties. Just spoke to WJEC and they have said they cannot exempt.
    We have previously used AQA Entry Level, but it finishes this year. We are trying to avoid the purely functional route which is being reflected in most new specifications, as we believe studying Literature should be experienced by everyone.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. andersoncouncil

andersoncouncil New commenter

I currently run the functional route. We do literature as part of literacy lessons, so I do agree, but does it need to be assessed?

I don't know if it would be of any help to your learners, but as far as I know any candidate can word process a response without any access arrangements if it is a normal way of working. You could apply for extra time if this would be a slow process. I'm not sure what the situation is with other accessibility assistance, but it could be worth asking.

3. camptownraces

camptownraces New commenter

As andersoncouncil says, word processing can be used in any subject if normal way of working.

From reading the current regs, it's only in the writing section of English paper that a scribe or voice technology is totally prohibited.
    to quote:
    "In Entry Level English a scribe or speech recognition technology is not permitted in
    the Writing component. A candidate who would normally be eligible for a scribe,
    but is not permitted this arrangement, may be granted up to a maximum of 50%
    extra time"