1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative (easier) qualification for Post 16

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dani2006, Oct 20, 2011.

1. dani2006

dani2006 New commenter

<font size="2">I need your advice please on alternative qualification that I can offer for my current year 11 going into 12 next year. Current Post 16 are doing the Edexcel Applied GCE. </font><font size="2">The reasons being they are weaker cohort and will not be able to cope with A level Applied GCE and the school is desperate to retain them. </font><font size="2">There aren't many employment opportunities out there anyway. I was wondering if anyone has faced similar problem or any suggestions at all. </font><font size="2">Are there any easier Level 3 qualification or one year Level 2 courses? </font><font size="2">Many thanks </font>

2. Hiya
    Sorry I am a bit out of touch so these might have new names by now.. but what about looking at:
    CLAIT
    Microsoft Driving License (ECDL or similar)
    DIDA
    We used to offer CLAIT as part of the key skills at KS5.. And DIDA as a course, it replced the GNVQ ICT course we did before that. Very much a hands on course that the weaker cohorts enjoyed.
    Just a few thoughts, R&B.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I know this is going to sound odd but as I assume you are chasing these kids getting a pass grade of some sort then you might realy want to take a look at the WJEC A level spec. The exam is tough BUT the coursework (40%) is very straightforward and if you have your head around it then you should see every kid get a very solid score. However it totally depends upon you as a teacher chasing up every little part of it every single week. It's my 3rd year on the course but now I "own" it and the kids finally are producing really good work. With the gift that is the spreadsheet section of the exam (15%) then you can pretty much guarantee a return of 45-50% before they even take the rest of the theory exam. However it is totally dependent on you chasing and chasing and chasing and then giving up your time to get them in after school so they don't fall behind. If you don't put in the time to chase then it is very easy to get a U grade on this spec.....
    Bottom line - I expect to see a solid set of B/C grades form all my kids, but not much above that.
    Repeat for A2.......
    I wait for someone to bring this thread back next August ;)

4. dani2006

dani2006 New commenter

To be honest CLAIT is not a bad suggestion but I am not sure what levels they provide and if it is any use to have as a quilification.
    Haiving done the OCR National with them DIDA is also an option but again I am not sure if they can cope and value it will add to them.

Thanks for the help

5. dani2006

dani2006 New commenter

Dj,
    <font size="2"> I will definitely look at the WJEC but it sounds to me massive commitment needed from them and me. I am used to it but I don't think I can get it from them.</font><font size="2">As you said it took you three years to feel comfortable about the course and I don't have that time unfortunately. I got to find something they can do for a year or so and get the results quickly but should not be very challenging.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">thanks </font>

6. To do CLAiT as an accredited qualification you now have to do OCR's ITQ QCF but you can get a Level 2 qualification entirely by sitting CLAiT papers for the optional units (you still have to complete a short written form for the mandatory unit). To get a Level 2 ITQ QCF you only have to get half your points at Level 2, so weak students could do some Level 1 units (and the CLAiT e-mail paper counts as BOTH E-mail and Internet at Level 1). If any were reasonably bright but could not cope with A-Level then they can get a Level 3 ITQ QCF by sitting about 2 units of Level 3 and making the rest of the points up with Level 1 or 2 units.
    www.allaboutitq.co

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

It's not really a massive commitment it just that you need to be organised and get on top of the markload constantly (not that it takes long to mark). All I do is project a "league table" onto the whiteboard as to mark progression at the beginning of every lesson and have a few jabs at those kids in the "relegation zone" and celebrate those in Champions League and UEFA cup slots. The system is working and we are now around 2/3 of the way through the coursework and only 2 from 20 are sitting on anything less than 70% completed, and they have the delights of spending the day in my company next week until they change the score to 100% of what is owed to date.
    It took me 3 years to get my head round it because I thought I had it nailed down in year 1 and I was naive not to have asked around for help from others who were already delivering the course. Now that is not an underhand jab at you in the slightest, it's an offer to walk you through how to get this course up and running effectively if you want.
    It's not a challenging course in the slightest but you need to know how to play the game with this one.

8. I second this suggestion - the WJEC is a good choice but to be considered carefully if you have kids with EAL; the exam will challenge them more than those without such problems.
    I must say, I never have to keep kids behind school for the coursework - f*** that.
    Just a small point - isn't the spreadsheet 16/80 = 20%?

9. I despair when I read things like this. We should be pushing the kids to get decent work and skills for the future from them - **** the grades. If Applied is what gives them a sound knowledge, go with that, however difficult.

10. I can just see the admissions tutor at the uni - 'Well this one got a 'U' for his Applied ICT but we must have him because he has 'decent work and skills for the future' - he's a much better candidate than this clown over here who got an 'A' for his WJEC ICT AS'.
    It's a balance, isn't it? We try to get them some useful skills but we live in the real World where people just look at the grades on the paper. Without those, they will have no 'future'.
    I can't imagine you are suggesting that we can ignore that brutal reality.

11. I know, I was expecting a response like this - in future I think I'll just keep out of such topics.

Unfortunately as you say the real world is sadly 'false' - the admissions tutor won't know the different between an A in Applied ICT or WJEC or an AQA or OCR or whatever.

It's really the bureaucrats at the heart of it all that are truly to blame, so as long as they are running the show, let's just keep churning out average courses allowing for seemingly high grades, which by the time the kids actually get into the working world mean little because it will only take their employer a short time to realize they actually know next to nothing about their subject area.

All this IT and technology yet we can't get the brains to operate it properly...it really is a brave new world :)

12. dani2006

dani2006 New commenter

I have never said I wanted to ignore z skill and understanding for z sake of easy course.
    Some of u r misinterpreting the question. Let me try to rephrase it.
    I have a group of year 11 who will struggle to be accepted by local colleges or to be employed in z current climate.
    I would like to offer them a course that they can do for a year or so to avoid sitting in z house this time next year.