1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative Careers

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by NathanJHaley, Sep 24, 2019.

1. NathanJHaley

NathanJHaley New commenter

Hi all,

I've just started my 2nd year teaching and I'm already starting to think about alternative careers. I am tired of the poor work life balance and coming home utterly exhausted most nights. I'd be interested to hear about people who have left teaching before me and what their story is. What job did you move to. How does it compare financially and in terms of work life balance. I am also thinking about the possibility of moving into online tutoring or education recruitment.

Thanks in advance,

A very tired teacher

2. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

That is so sad that you have spent so long and presumably so much money to train and you’ve spent such a short amount of time in the profession. I’m sorry that you’re so tired. I’m going to assume it’s your school rather than you haven’t learnt the shortcuts yet.

Money everywhere else seems poor in comparison. Skills don’t seem to be as easily transferable as we’re told. Other professions only seem to have 25 days holiday.
    You might find you can’t enjoy cheaper holidays as you have restricted holidays dates too.
    However, other jobs only work 40 hours a week! Bonus! People just leave at a set time! They eat their lunch in a local park! Some get holidays much cheaper!

I think you’d be able to transfer to what you’re planning but you might find the only bonus is leaving work at 5pm. Good luck.

simonCOAL likes this.
  3. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

How much do you love the holidays? They're a deal breaker for me, I will be a teacher till the day I die because I want the time off.

Other people like working so might not care so much about the holidays. But 12 or so weeks off a year, compared to most people's 20 ish days is just too good to lose.

littlebeth likes this.
  4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Great post.

The difficulty of the situation summed up very well. It’s not all bad, not all good.

DexterDexter likes this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And that for some may well be worth the move plus the fact that you can have you weekends to yourself.

If you are just two years into your teaching career and your avatar is you then I assume you are still in your early twenties. You are obviously thinking ahead because you have already considered alternative careers. If you remain in teaching you know that the future holds more of the same for a good few more years yet and then progression will be through SLT. Unless you make your job better or less exhausting then for the immediate future things are not going to change.

There are numerous accounts on the threads about people who've moved on from teaching and a search of these using relevant keywords will bring them up. Here's one for a start https://community.tes.com/threads/d...one-changed-careers-and-left-teaching.750304/

With 40% of new teachers leaving within 5 years there are hundreds of thousands of ex-teachers out there, many of whom having moved into successful, rewarding careers outside of the classroom. You have nothing to lose by researching and even applying for other jobs. You can always turn down jobs you're offered if they don't appeal. You have you own ideas about your future career direction so maybe start by developing these. Teaching will always be there for you to return to in the future if things don't work out but you're obviously not happy with your current work so make the change if that's the right thing for you.